Railroad Forums 

• Toledo Area Nighttime Railfans?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#205862  by chessie8212

Any Toledo area night railfans out there? I was out at Holland last night from about 2100 - 2330. Met a guy and talked to him for about 45 minutes or so, always nice to meet a fellow fan.

Anyone else get out at night?

#206278  by railohio

Night is the best time to be out, although there aren't many places near Toledo I'd go railfan. For the whole area, though, the night time is the best to catch the most action and get the best shots.
 #206457  by Rabscuttle

chessie8212 wrote:Any Toledo area night railfans out there? I was out at Holland last night from about 2100 - 2330. Met a guy and talked to him for about 45 minutes or so, always nice to meet a fellow fan.

Anyone else get out at night?
I used to take the kids to the "broken light" all the time. (Broken Light is a term my son calls the crossing at Holloway because one day, three or four years ago the crossgates were stuck open). It was really cool to see trains at dusk and beyond. Back then, when Amtrak still had an evening WB, it was still possible to catch the train at dusk during the high of summer.
 #206524  by chessie8212

Rabscuttle wrote:Back then, when Amtrak still had an evening WB, it was still possible to catch the train at dusk during the high of summer.
Man, I feel lucky if I catch one before midnight nowadays! That would have been a great time to catch Amtrak!

#211800  by ToledoRailFan

With the way things are going this semester, I think that the only time that I would be able to go out would be at night, or on the weekends. At least I don't have many evening shifts driving buses this semester... I might have to try Holland sometime - while the weather is nice.
~D.J.~