Railroad Forums 

• Tips please

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1266422  by kevin7410

I am looking to get on with BNSF, UP, or CN and have recently sent out apps to all online. Does anyone have any "tips" or any advice to get on the rail. I applied for track maintence I figured that was the easiest place to get on. Thank you for your help!
 #1266590  by Jakelkauffman

Know somebody. That's my first tip. Find a reference of someone that is with the company. They. Want someone that understands the "railroad life".
In your resume that you attach, preach safety. Also list every machine or tool you know how to use under special skills.
If you really want to get your foot in, I'd recommend applying to hard to fill locations like Montana and North Dakota. Seem to have a better chance of getting on.
Wish you the best. Good luck!
 #1266617  by Freddy

You'll need a CDL license, if you don't already have one, if you're trying for any job/dept. other than conductor/trainman.
 #1266677  by Jakelkauffman

some jobs will train you for your CDL, if you don't have one. if I was you I would just take the tests before anyways.. wouldn't hurt.
I just got on with bnsf with no CDL.
 #1266727  by Freddy

Jakelkauffman wrote:some jobs will train you for your CDL, if you don't have one. if I was you I would just take the tests before anyways.. wouldn't hurt.
I just got on with bnsf with no CDL.
What department?
 #1266749  by Jakelkauffman

Sorry just read where you said besides conductor/trainman.
I'm a gang trainman.
 #1266758  by Freddy

Jakelkauffman wrote:Sorry just read where you said besides conductor/trainman.
I'm a gang trainman.
I just looked and you happen to be right. On some of the Maint.of Way jobs they offer CDL training.
 #1266811  by mdr406

I recently got hired as a Locomotive Electrician with CSX, and I do not have a CDL. However, I do plan on taking a break from college for the rest of 2014 so I can focus on my new job and obtain my CDL. I have already arraigned CDL drivers education courses for this year, I should have the CDL within my first 6 months of employment with the railroad.
 #1266814  by mdr406

Jakelkauffman wrote:Know somebody. That's my first tip. Find a reference of someone that is with the company. They. Want someone that understands the "railroad life".
In your resume that you attach, preach safety. Also list every machine or tool you know how to use under special skills.
I agree, safety is supposedly #1 at the railroad that I got hired with. They loved that I was in a safety committee, received all kinds of safety bonuses, had a clean safety record, and was AED/CPR/BBP/First-Aid certified. Safety should be a main point of your resume. Additionally, they want to hire competent individuals, so be sure to elaborate upon this. As stated above, highlight the tools and experience you have. Include any letters of recommendations from former employers or teachers, which can show that you can easily and quickly learn new things.
 #1272419  by catfish63755

You have just as much chance getting on in the transportation department as a brakeman/conductor as you would in track maintenance coming in off the street.
 #1272546  by Jakelkauffman

If you apply up north for track maintenance your chances are improved drastically. Im from Texas, and just got hired on and went through training, put in my transfer to go back to my home district, and it was approved. no more cold for me :)