Railroad Forums 

• Tioga Scenic out of Owego

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#60005  by thannon

Are they running? I'm not sure what they're doing- they were quiet the times I've been there.

Bridge washed out? Not quite. Bridge has problems; especially with the creek next to it, but last I had heard in the news the bridge had been opened to rail traffic. Further discussions on replacing the bridge are to happen I guess.

Tom H>
 #62927  by john0418

For everyone's info, I rode the Tioga Central' diner train last Friday.
It was the last day of operation until next spring. We went from Owego to
Newark Valley hauled by a SW1 #40 (no other markings on her.
On the way north, we passed a ALCO (RS36?) labeled "Owego & Hanford"
which is the freight side of the Tioga Central

#62959  by Alcoman

Both the 1811 and the 1850 are MLW RS-18's (The Canadien version of a Alco RS-11))
It appears from the photos that both are being used. The last time I was out there, the 1850 was stored.

#63129  by Otto Vondrak

Very nice photos, nice dramatic effects with the fog, Tom! Is this equipment usually parked in this fashion? Are they open to visitors taking pictures in the yard? Oh, and exactly where *is* the yard?

-otto-

#63137  by scottychaos

Otto,
the yard is where the LV auburn division swings north away from being parallel with the Erie.
on the north side of Owego.
If you are in "downtown" Owego, take route 96 north out of town,
and turn left after ducking under the Erie.
photos are never a problem..its quite open. very visable from public property.

Tom,
nice shots!
what did you use for the panoramic shot?
very nice!
Scot

#63145  by thannon

Thanks. Scotty is quite right- most of what is there is visible without leaving the road. The backside (south) is visible along the NS right of way.

The ex-CP Alco isn't a OHRR item, but is semi-stored there after being overhauled the past year(s).

As for the panorama shot- I have a old copy of Ulead's 360*. Just re-installed it and remembered it requires a fixed exposure to look right....this panorama is a bit fudged due to different exposures not quite blending. I'm getting better with it.

There are several freeware programs that are actually better at the process, but suffer in the interface. It can be an interesting effect.

Tom H> {hoping sunshine returns before the leaves are all gone}