Railroad Forums 

• Times to catch NYNJ in Brooklyn

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #737964  by freightguy

After a derailment in 2007 in Fresh Pond UPY 1133 was brought back on a Saturday. The NYAR used it to help rerail cars as their engines were unable to get past the derailment site. There may have been a weekend move every now and than. With the current state of the economy you'll be lucky to catch them during the week it seems.
 #902902  by Otto Vondrak

I'm heading to 1st Ave on Weds. to do some scouting around and maybe catch the train running... Only been planning this for two years...
 #903026  by Teutobergerwald

I was over there yesterday myself, on job-time....saw a Missouri Pacific boxcar spotted at 42 St & 1 Ave after making the left from 39 St after getting off the Gowanus Expwy. My destination was 4100 1 Ave, so I got no further south on 1 Ave. Could see several cuts of boxcars in the yard on several tracks, and saw the ramp track that is used to unload subway cars for NYCTA. That looked like it was in bad shape. When was the last time that was used? I once was there, also on job-time, when the LIRR's fleet of GP38-2's were laid-up in the yard back in 1999 (or was it 2000) waiting to be shipped out over to New Jersey and their eventual destination for rebuilding for lease service, NS's Juniata Shop in PA, I believe...
 #903497  by Mr rt

Transit doesn't bring new cars in or ship old cars out of that yard anymore.
So, they use it as a kind of storage yard.
For a time they had security watching it, i.e. trespasers were arrested, be for warned.
 #903504  by Ðauntless

The ramp is a combo TOFC and Subway ramp. When it was last used, god only knows. They haven't ran up to the former SBK yard on 39th in about 6 or so years. The tracks are welded, so its done. Most of the yard is now completely gone, with a new interchange track already constructed, the rest will be finished, including the link onto 1st ave this year. Maybe we will get to see NYNJ interchanging with the TA once again in the coming years.