Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1592111  by Allan

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:48 pm Gotta love vinyl sticker decorations. Any photos yet?
Here are photos of the platform with the lines, the view is looking west/northward:

File 547 is of where track 2 used to be, File 548 is of where track 3 used to be.

(Note to StrRedWolf - it took me a short while but I figured how to attach the photos - thanks). I had to darken the image a bit as the florescent lighting causes a glare off the tile floor when taking a picture.
Attachments:
DSC00547.JPG
DSC00547.JPG (2.3 MiB) Viewed 2343 times
DSC00548.JPG
DSC00548.JPG (2.27 MiB) Viewed 2343 times
 #1592306  by Allan

Track 1 was a stub end even in the old station (probably was made that way sometime after 1918 after the 7th Av line opened). All they did this time was move the bumper block eastward for about 40 feet or so.

When shuttle track 3 was there it also had a bumper block.

I don't think the bridge plate over track 4 is gone for good as I had heard (don't hold me to this) that the old uptown platform (track 4) will be used for storage and maybe a field office.

Construction of the area north of the new platform is ongoing so we'll have to wait to see what the results are.
 #1593624  by Allan

A new entrance to the shuttle has opened at W43rd St & Broadway. I have only seen in from inside the station so far but it is a wide staircase from the street to a lot of turnstiles. Since I haven't seen it from the street yet, I believe that it is located just south of the original staircase - which was entrance/exit from the platform at track 4 and located on the northwest corner of 43rd St & Broadway. I think the new entrance extends into the pedestrian mall on Broadway between 42nd & 43rd Sts (created under the Bloomberg administration).

One thing was lost because of this new entrance - the long revered view of the 7th Av tracks from the north end of the platform. The new entrance is in front of it and completely blocks the view. At present there are blue construction walls blocking so you can't see where track 4 is. I don't know if that will be left open (so you can see the old platform or they will put a door there.
 #1593793  by Allan

I went to check out the new entrance today. It is on Broadway about 25 feet north of 42nd St (and is about 30 feet or so south of the original entrance/exit at 43rd St - which is being turned into an emergency exit).

Attached are some photos:

The 1st is of the now closed off area showing the 7th Av line. I took this photo back in August 2019. You can also see the bridge plate on the right side.

The 2nd is of what the area looks like today (3/18/2022). If you look carefully at the far right you'll make out a door. This leads to the bridge plate area, the old platform for track 4 and, of course, the connection of track 4 to the 7th Avenue line. Any view of these areas from the newly constructed areas is permanently blocked by solid panels.

The 3rd photo is of the new entrance at street level (My back was to 43rd St when I took it). . As you can see it is still unfinished and there is construction going on around it. The building to the immediate right is the old NY Times Bldg (now a Walgreen's - 1 Times Square). The building in the upper left is the Knickerbocker Hotel.
Attachments:
DSC00484.JPG
DSC00484.JPG (2.38 MiB) Viewed 1593 times
DSC00555.JPG
DSC00555.JPG (2.32 MiB) Viewed 1593 times
DSC00556.JPG
DSC00556.JPG (2.39 MiB) Viewed 1593 times
 #1593830  by STrRedWolf

Allan wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:25 pm I went to check out the new entrance today. It is on Broadway about 25 feet north of 42nd St (and is about 30 feet or so south of the original entrance/exit at 43rd St - which is being turned into an emergency exit).
Going through Google Maps's street view (from 2021) it looks like they took the old entrance on 43rd and turned it into a Police Department station, possibly with the emergency exit off to the side.

Probably shortens some halls there.
 #1593840  by Allan

That is partially true. When they took down the kiosk (way back when), they replaced it with a standard type of entrance which was still used until the station renovation project commenced. That entrance/exit is now to become an emergency exit (the concrete form is in place and now they have to put the hatch doors over it). The entrance hardware is still there although it has been dismantled (that section is behind blue construction panels until completion).
 #1600717  by Jeff Smith

Was going to a Yankee game and went all the way in to check it out. Great job. Both NB and SB connections remain intact. It's still a shame they don't run-through like the original IRT, it would be useful but I get the operational difficulties it would present.
 #1602918  by Allan

Allan wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:07 pm That is partially true. When they took down the kiosk (way back when), they replaced it with a standard type of entrance which was still used until the station renovation project commenced. That entrance/exit is now to become an emergency exit (the concrete form is in place and now they have to put the hatch doors over it). The entrance hardware is still there although it has been dismantled (that section is behind blue construction panels until completion).
The attached photo shows where the the original entrance/exit to the uptown local platform used to be at W43rd St & Broadway. You can see the steel hatch doors over what is now an emergency exit. The green stanchion at the top of the photo was used to mark subway entrances (it probably had a sign "IRT lines" on the top). This one most likely dates to the opening of the system in 1904.
Attachments:
Former entrance location W43rd St & Broadway
Former entrance location W43rd St & Broadway
DSC00571.JPG (2.38 MiB) Viewed 907 times
 #1628121  by NaugyRR

Looks like the station got a little damp today...
https://jalopnik.com/127-year-old-pipe- ... 1850783582

Fair Use:
A 127-year-old water main running under Times Square burst on Tuesday morning. As you may have guessed, this is a bad thing that ended up flooding streets in Midtown, Manhattan and doused the city’s busiest subway station right in time for the morning commute. According to ABC News, the 20-inch pipe gave way under 40th Street and Seventh Avenue right around 3 a.m.