Railroad Forums 

• Time book

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#461116  by Lmcgolf

Anyone know where to get a time record book or time logbook? I have looked everywhere I know of.

#461316  by Lmcgolf

ask my utu rep, yeah right. I'm not sure if he knows where our yard office is.
 #1423777  by tundraboomer

This is one of the things I've been bitching about to my local, hoping it will get some traction and get moved up the ladder. All the technology today and our unions virtually ignore it except to broadcast their political agenda. SMART has this useless app for sheetmetal workers, but nothing for rails, and certainly nothing as useful as a timebook app.

https://labelitscanitreportit.com/download-the-app/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I still get their useless paper timebooks every year without fail, but nothing more useful or contemporary. It would be nice to have a timekeeping app with customizable fields and built-in HOS data, deductible expense tracker, and a good time calculator. An app the the local could populate with relevant terminal or division data (such as terminal names, AFHT locations, job numbers, etc.) and fields (such as standard trip rates, arbitrary claim codes/amounts, etc.) then disseminate that to its members would be incredibly useful. But I guess that's too complicated for them. The carriers have no incentive to provide this, and the International union leadership has no clue what they could do to make the every-day member's live better.

But I digress.
 #1424584  by COEN77

Useless paper timebooks? There's nothing more dependable then a paper trail. It's funny today when computers go down the world stops. No one knows how to do a paper backup. lol
 #1425115  by tundraboomer

COEN77 wrote:Useless paper timebooks? There's nothing more dependable then a paper trail. It's funny today when computers go down the world stops. No one knows how to do a paper backup. lol
You don't own a printer?
 #1425404  by COEN77

tundraboomer wrote:
COEN77 wrote:Useless paper timebooks? There's nothing more dependable then a paper trail. It's funny today when computers go down the world stops. No one knows how to do a paper backup. lol
You don't own a printer?
LOL! Ever heard of tradition. Why would I want to keep a stack of printed time tickets when I can have it all in one rather small book. You can keep your technology. I watched as newbies used their cellphone for keeping time. Thank goodness some railroads still require wearing watches. I'm glad the FRA banned cellphone use. Some traditions should never end because they have a purpose.
 #1425498  by tundraboomer

If you like paper, that's fine, but many of us like the advantages that technology offers. An app could provide many conveniences that a paper log simply doesn't have. For instance, it could keep aggregate totals for certain figures (such as OD time, or OT) based on your half, the month, year, or whatever. You could assign different rates of pay to different shifts to keep an accurate running total. Much of the information could be populated automatically once you've set up your preferences and settings.

The possibilities are endless and anyone who has ever done any data analysis knows how powerful this information can be. A well designed solution could give you a very accurate and easy to determine expected total for your half that you can easily compare to your payroll statement to see how honest timekeeping has been. I'm a busy person and don't have time to manually add all that up every half and reconcile my pay statements. An "at a glance" solution would be huge for me. Obviously those with complicated CBAs and complex claims would benefit more than people who usually make basic claims.

At the very least it would be a huge benefit for people with terrible penmanship, like myself. Half the time I can't even read what I wrote in my time book.

This thread was started in 2007, 10 YEARS AGO. While the rest of the world has figured out excellent and beneficial uses for modern consumer tech, the whole railroad world lives bass-ackwards in the past. Tradition is great, but so is technology. It has made my life better in many ways. The carriers have no incentive whatsoever to make our timekeeping records better and more accurate. In fact, they have a lot to lose, which is all the more reason the unions SHOULD be looking at this and using resources to provide its members with a solution. Why can't we have both?
 #1426049  by COEN77

It's unfortunate that some took advantage of technology. The banning of cellphones it took a tragedy to bring it about. In the timebooks defense there were times during my career I was asked about certain dates and having it clarified the situation. As for logging it in a computer etc... no problem once one is off the train. Or, at home with a printout. I've heard the same on rule books why can't they be on a computer program. When I hired out in the '70s the rule book could fit in ones back pocket. When I retired in 2010 we carried 7-8+ different books. like you stated this thread goes back 10 years. It's nothing new.
 #1426063  by tundraboomer

COEN77 wrote:In the timebooks defense there were times during my career I was asked about certain dates and having it clarified the situation.
You must not work for UP. When I did we had to keep track of everything and audit timekeeping on every single paycheck. They deny legitimate claims like mad.

As far as using electronic devices, I only fill out my timeslip and book at my end-duty point, after I get off the train. I don't give the company any free time by filling post-trip paperwork out while I'm still on the engine. If I'm sitting at a desk or table in the break room or register room, using an electronic device is a non-issue.
 #1426269  by COEN77

tundraboomer wrote:
You must not work for UP. When I did we had to keep track of everything and audit timekeeping on every single paycheck. They deny legitimate claims like mad.

As far as using electronic devices, I only fill out my timeslip and book at my end-duty point, after I get off the train. I don't give the company any free time by filling post-trip paperwork out while I'm still on the engine. If I'm sitting at a desk or table in the break room or register room, using an electronic device is a non-issue.
CSX does the same on denying claims. Most claims are gone these days that happened with on-property contract negotiations. Before that happened CSX made it a point to divide the generations where some claims weren't allowed if hired after such & such a date. Not sure if UP went there, yet. The only thing still under the national contract for CSX is healthcare. Like you I kept all my printouts for the half as a record. Like I stated in my post once off the train electronic devices aren't an issue even in the crew room.