Railroad Forums 

• Tiger Tracks - A&A "sandhouse"

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#473165  by Freshwater Models

If you are attending the RIT Tiger Tracks train show please stop by my table (look for the red table cloth) and see the pilot model for the HO scale A&A "sandhouse" kit. This kit has involved a few trips to Arcade for r&d and I hope to have the kit available some time in Jan.

The "Sandhouse" is in rapid decay as evident in two pictures I have posted on my web site at:

http://www.freshwatermodels.net/a&a_sandhouse.htm

The model depicts the structure before the south garage addition was added.

I will be making a ltd ed run of built models in addition to the kits.

See ya at Tiger Tracks,

#473403  by Benjamin Maggi

Sadly, I will not be at that show, but am definitely interested in the kit. I will try to get someone there to take pictures for me. Maybe even the limited edition one as well. I will probably buy it just to see how to put something like this together, because hopefully I will be able to construct a 1:29 model of the structure someday.

Good job!
Last edited by Benjamin Maggi on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

#473442  by Freshwater Models

Ben,

No need to take any pictures as I will be posting some pictures on my web shortly.

If you want a 1:32 model I would be willing to hand cut a "kit" for you. Won't be cheap but would make for a nice model. You would need to make your own spout and frame in the windows from scratch but that isn't too tough.

Eventually I hope to make kits available in multi scale when I do my own wood cutting. I hope to be cnc by the end of 2008.

Once this project is done, I am considering the Curriers depot as a kit.

#473685  by Benjamin Maggi

Well, I will consider your offer for a 1:29 "kit," but in this large scale I look forward to actually being able to build something without squinting and looking for tiny pieces! I do look forward to your HO kit, and will use it on a diorama most likely to show off the HO equipment I have of the A&A.

If you even have accurate drawings of the station, that would be amazing. I hope your kits sells well and you keep on developing new products.

#473695  by Freshwater Models

Ben,

If I do the Curriers depot I will probably measure it and do the drawings from that research. Nothing like working from the prototype.

Large scale for the Arcade tank would be 1:32 rather than 1:29 which is correct for Ga 1. 1:29 is a b_________ scale derived from British coarse scale ga 1 being 10mm scale

#473706  by Benjamin Maggi

While I agree 1:29 is not correct and 1:32 is, the cost of older brass 1:32 engines is much too high for me. Besides, I can live with the apparent narrowness of the rails. And, as an aside, in the past few months I have been modeling 16mm to the foot British narrow gauge trains that run on gauge 1 track and are approximately 1:19 scale.

#473786  by jgallaway81

Jack, I have complete measurements of the Curriers depot somewhere. If I can find them, I will send them over. I spend about eight hours out there measuring the depot to the nearest 16th of an inch. That also included smaller building that wass moved to Curriers in the early 2000's. That building was part of the old diesel fueling tank that sat in Arcade infront of what is now the firehall.

I built a rough model of the depot in 1/29th for my modular setup, which will be CP-Curriers, a control point on the Freedom Central's "Core" Division.

As for teh development of the scale, according to Lewis Polk of Aristocraft, the origins of the 1/29th come from his father who started the large scale company that would eventually become Aristocraft Trains.

According to their history, 1/29th scale was the scale of the old Lionel "Standard Gauge". Aristo's equipment was built with 45mm gauge wheelsets so the equipment could run on the existing LGB trackage. The intention wass that they would be swappable with standardguage wheelsets. Unfortunately the SG parts never made it to production, and Aristocraft became a manufacturer of 1/29th equipment on 1/32nd guage tracks.

#473791  by jgallaway81

Jack, I have complete measurements of the Curriers depot somewhere. If I can find them, I will send them over. I spend about eight hours out there measuring the depot to the nearest 16th of an inch. That also included smaller building that wass moved to Curriers in the early 2000's. That building was part of the old diesel fueling tank that sat in Arcade infront of what is now the firehall.

I built a rough model of the depot in 1/29th for my modular setup, which will be CP-Curriers, a control point on the Freedom Central's "Core" Division.

As for teh development of the scale, according to Lewis Polk of Aristocraft, the origins of the 1/29th come from his father who started the large scale company that would eventually become Aristocraft Trains.

According to their history, 1/29th scale was the scale of the old Lionel "Standard Gauge". Aristo's equipment was built with 45mm gauge wheelsets so the equipment could run on the existing LGB trackage. The intention wass that they would be swappable with standardguage wheelsets. Unfortunately the SG parts never made it to production, and Aristocraft became a manufacturer of 1/29th equipment on 1/32nd guage tracks.

#473909  by Freshwater Models

We're a bit off topic but 1:29 or 1:30 scale dates way back before there was any gauge 1 in the US.

Gauge 1, the very first SCALE for model trains originated in Germany, a metric country, developed by Marklin before Lionel and was amazingly 1:32 scale 3/8" to the foot scale. I think this was intended for the British market which was still using the imperial system. British rolling stock is tough to model or manufacture due to the small size. This is especially true for live steam like the Bing B-L and Carette prior to WWII. The Brits/Germans decided to fudge the scale for both G1 and GO upping the scales to 7mm for O and 10mm for #1. Later HO was developed in Germany as (H)alf (O)scale or 3.5mm=1' rather than half our 1/4" 1:48 being 1/8" 1:96.

The main reason I only model in 1:32 for large scale is that it allows much easier math and correct scale materials since we are an imperial measurement country. The difference between 1:32 and 1:29 isn't enough to get twitterpated about unless you are designing/building the model.

About the only reason I would go for 10mm scale would be for live steam in a small loco. The cheap 1:29 stuff on the market is great for the hobby and satisfies a lot of folks. For the average hobbyist it is about having fun with trains but for me it is about designing and making models and kits which is really a lot of math and model/tool making.

Back to modelmaking...............

#478387  by Benjamin Maggi

How about posting some pictures of your kits. There are prototype pictures on your website, but none of the models.

#478392  by Freshwater Models

Ben,

Once I have a model made from production parts I will post a picture.

Jack