Railroad Forums 

• Tifft Street

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#40373  by dj_paige

I made my first visit to Tifft Street, Buffalo recently. And as I faced south from the Tifft Street overpass, I saw a lot of tracks heading off into the distance, under the South Buffalo RR bridge, and disappearing to the south.

So, what are all those tracks? I presume (correct me if I'm wrong), but to my left (to the east), the two tracks that are together are the NS tracks (former NKP). Then, moving to my right (west), there seems to be a single track by itself. What is that? And then, further to the right, are five tracks together, I assume some of these five (perhaps the leftmost two or three) are the CSX Chicago Line tracks, and the others are probably yard tracks connecting Tifft St. Yard and Seneca Yard.

How did I do?

#40411  by crrip99

left to right facing south ,south buffalo rr ,then the b&p old main and the old b&p MV siding (both ex B&O) , then the 2 NS main ( ex nickle plate)then buffalo southern rr, NS has trackage rights from cp draw down to blasdell NY (ex erie lackawanna BS&W branch line to waterboro ny), then you hav csx main2, 1 and 3 (in that order) then 2 in the flats (track lead to seneca yard) then lehigh west bound (yard track lead to and from seneca yd to ohio street yard) and lehigh #17 (back way in from senca to ohio st yd) the lehigh westbound and lehigh 17 are former lehigh valley tift yard tracks)im sure on the order from the ns threw the csx tracks, the b&p and sb track im pretty sure of the order.

#40485  by sd80mac

I recall that there is a single track between NS' 2 tracks(east side) and CSX's 3 tracks (west side) belong to Southern Buffalo RR (its southern, not south, I believe)

Correct me if i'm wrong.

ken

#40661  by dj_paige

Well, thanks for the info. Makes a whole lot more sense now that I have that info.

#40699  by crrip99

the single track berween the csx mains and the ns is the "buffalo southern"not the souther buffalo. its operations are based out of eden ny. i know this for a fact, as i grew up near the tracks and the first set of tracks on the east side of the bridge is the south buffalo not sure if there is 1 or 2 tracks for them

#40731  by sd80mac

right... thanks. sometime i get confused with buffalo southern and southern buffalo... LOL

ken