Railroad Forums 

• Ticket One Way FBA to East New York

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1598084  by jhdeasy

A short journey of two stations on the Atlantic Branch. As indicated, fare was 10 cents.

The IND subway line runs roughly parallel to the LIRR Atlantic Branch, a few blocks to the north. Subway fare was still 5 cents in 1947.

LIRR would have been the quicker trip, for the cost of an additional nickel over the subway fare.
 #1598089  by R36 Combine Coach

Twice the fare for faster service. With CityTicket at $5 now expanded to all off-peak hours (beyond simply
weekends), the same trip can be done at less than twice the subway fare ($2.75/3.00 cash or single ride).
 #1598090  by MACTRAXX

Steve - Interesting ticket that looks to be printed like a reciept...
Do you have this specific ticket or is this a Brad Phillips item?

The photo is sharp enough to see the LIRR keystones on the paper stock for authentication...
Where there cash register type machines used at some ticket offices back then?

The date is June 26, 1947 - the number 1860 intrigues me - is it a ticket number (more probable)
or could it be a 24 hour clock time stamp (18 would be 6 pm-00 to 59; 7 PM exactly would be 1900) possibly?

This may be a rare LIRR ticket variation...MACTRAXX
 #1598092  by nyandw

MACTRAXX wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:29 pm Steve - Interesting ticket that looks to be printed like a reciept...

The photo is sharp enough to see the LIRR keystones on the paper stock for authentication...Where there cash register type machines used at some ticket offices back then? The date is June 26, 1947 - the number 1860 intrigues me - is it a ticket number (more probable)or could it be a 24 hour clock time stamp (18 would be 6 pm-00 to 59; 7 PM exactly would be 1900) possibly? This may be a rare LIRR ticket variation...MACTRAXX

This was an eBay posted for sale item..
 #1598095  by MACTRAXX

nyandw wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:45 pm
MACTRAXX wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:29 pm Steve - Interesting ticket that looks to be printed like a reciept...

The photo is sharp enough to see the LIRR keystones on the paper stock for authentication...Where there cash register type machines used at some ticket offices back then? The date is June 26, 1947 - the number 1860 intrigues me - is it a ticket number (more probable)or could it be a 24 hour clock time stamp (18 would be 6 pm-00 to 59; 7 PM exactly would be 1900) possibly? This may be a rare LIRR ticket variation...MACTRAXX

This was an eBay posted for sale item..
Steve - Did you save the EBay listing on this ticket? MACTRAXX
 #1598096  by Trainmaster5

jhdeasy wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 6:33 pm A short journey of two stations on the Atlantic Branch. As indicated, fare was 10 cents.

The IND subway line runs roughly parallel to the LIRR Atlantic Branch, a few blocks to the north. Subway fare was still 5 cents in 1947.

LIRR would have been the quicker trip, for the cost of an additional nickel over the subway fare.
I’m figuring that the closest station to FBA was Lafayette Avenue on the subway.. Eight stops to get to Broadway-East New York station on the IND subway and then a two block walk south to the LIRR East New York station. I think the LIRR was/is the way to go.
 #1598347  by Kelly&Kelly

This ticket caught my eye too on ebay. Never saw one like that.

Probably printed at Flatbush Avenue, as the East New York line on the ticket seems to be the one that was variable, along with the price. That line looks to have been printed with a separate ink ribbon.

While the ticket number appears to be printed by the machine, it's unusual that there is no control number on the blank stock.

Somewhere there would have been a bulletin explaining these ticket types.
 #1598676  by nyandw

Kelly&Kelly wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 6:45 amThis ticket caught my eye too on ebay. Never saw one like that. Probably printed at Flatbush Avenue, as the East New York line on the ticket seems to be the one that was variable, along with the price. That line looks to have been printed with a separate ink ribbon.While the ticket number appears to be printed by the machine, it's unusual that there is no control number on the blank stock. Somewhere there would have been a bulletin explaining these ticket types.
Can the 1860 be the control number as all tickets must be accounted for? Time of issue isn’t a critical element as the ticket is good for one year.

Steve
 #1598737  by ExCon90

Control number seems a likelier possibility. Afaik nobody -- not even Canadian National -- was using the 24-hour clock in 1947 (and I don't see the LIRR as a trail-breaker in that area), and in any case the next minute after 1859 is 1900.
 #1598746  by nyandw

ExCon90 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:15 pm Control number seems a likelier possibility. Afaik nobody -- not even Canadian National -- was using the 24-hour clock in 1947 (and I don't see the LIRR as a trail-breaker in that area), and in any case the next minute after 1859 is 1900.

Agree, my ticket collector friend indicates same.
 #1598756  by Kelly&Kelly

The "1860" was printed by the machine that issued the ticket, along with the date. Generally, unprinted ticket stock would also carry a "control number," as the stock itself had value. The stock was further monetized and received a "ticket number" once it was printed. Without controls on the blank stock, it could be stolen or misused as there could be no accounting of it before it was printed.

The only times a stock number wouldn't be employed would be the case of limited-distribution materials, as in a trial or unique stock where the distribution would be very limited to one or a few confidants.

Of course all these protocols were tossed when revenue accounting took a back seat under State ownership.
 #1599053  by nyandw

The paper was probably in a roll and the keystone watermark told the ticket collector that the ticket was not forged. The paper would be secured, of course, but would have no value unless one had a ticket printing machine to duplicate the railroad’s impression. Once the machine printed the information on the blank paper the ticket then had value. The security in this situation rested in the printing machine itself. The ticket seller would be held responsible for remitting funds equal to the total of imprints made by his machine.

My guess is this system was abandoned soon after trials as forging an imprint would be relatively easy and trainmen might not be looking for the watermark on a crowded rush hour train with just a few minutes between each station to collect all the fares.

The railroad experimented with several “automated” systems over the years.

Each ticket would have a unique number, so 1861 would be next. The date would be the date on which the ticket was issued.