Railroad Forums 

• Thru routes in NE NJ

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1193698  by zz14

I'm curious as to how freight trains get through NE NJ, say from Bound Brook to Selkirk. It seems there are only two ways to do this once the train has entered Oak Island:

1) Over the Point-No-Point bridge, to the Marion running track, and then on the River Line.

2) Over the Lehigh Valley Railroad bridge, to the National Docks line, and then on the River Line.

Is this correct? If so, it seems that everything going to Selkirk would have to go on one of these lines (unless there's are alternate routes going through western New York State or somewhere else).

Thanks
 #1193823  by pumpers

zz14 wrote:I'm curious as to how freight trains get through NE NJ, say from Bound Brook to Selkirk. It seems there are only two ways to do this once the train has entered Oak Island:
1) Over the Point-No-Point bridge, to the Marion running track, and then on the River Line.
2) Over the Lehigh Valley Railroad bridge, to the National Docks line, and then on the River Line.
Is this correct? If so, it seems that everything going to Selkirk would have to go on one of these lines (unless there's are alternate routes going through western New York State or somewhere else).
Thanks
I think you are right on (1) and (2). I might add for (2), that the old National Docks going through the back of Hoboken and into the Weehawken tunnel is gone (now light rail), and the through route now goes through the Erie Long Dock tunnel just north of the Bergen Arches.

THere is also a modified alternative to (2) - from Bound Brook you can take the old Reading line (I forget what it is called now) to the Chemical Coast, and then I suppose (but am not sure) that at Oak Island you get on the old LV bridge you mention to the National Docks.
JS
 #1194012  by kilroy

the old Reading line (I forget what it is called now)
The Reading Secondary.
 #1194050  by TAMR213

kilroy wrote:
the old Reading line (I forget what it is called now)
The Port Reading Secondary.
FIFY
 #1194310  by R36 Combine Coach

Is there a specific routing to determine which through freight schedules are routed via Jersey City or over the P&H through Kearny?
 #1194350  by pumpers

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Is there a specific routing to determine which through freight schedules are routed via Jersey City or over the P&H through Kearny?
Actually, both routes go through Jersey City. The P&H routing turns north at the Marion connection on the west side of JC, to go up to the old Erie Northern RR, and the National Docks runs on the eastern side of Jersey City before running through the Erie Long Dock tunnel to the old Northern. The ex-Northern then runs out of the north side of Jersey City to join the old New York Central (now CSX River line) a few miles further north.
But as to which one to use, I'll let the professionals answer. The Oak Island/National Docks route would let a CSX train go through Oak Island to add/drop blocks without reversing, and the same for the P&H route and the Meadows yard (intermodal?), I guess.
JS
 #1194884  by waldwickrailfan

pumpers wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:Is there a specific routing to determine which through freight schedules are routed via Jersey City or over the P&H through Kearny?
Actually, both routes go through Jersey City. The P&H routing turns north at the Marion connection on the west side of JC, to go up to the old Erie Northern RR, and the National Docks runs on the eastern side of Jersey City before running through the Erie Long Dock tunnel to the old Northern. The ex-Northern then runs out of the north side of Jersey City to join the old New York Central (now CSX River line) a few miles further north.
But as to which one to use, I'll let the professionals answer. The Oak Island/National Docks route would let a CSX train go through Oak Island to add/drop blocks without reversing, and the same for the P&H route and the Meadows yard (intermodal?), I guess.
JS
I've noticed they almost always take the National Docks Branch to go to the River Line. Only CSX trains that go to Oak Island are Q300, Q301, Q433 and Q434
 #1194887  by SecaucusJunction

The autorack trains to Doremus Ave would also use that route. E-Port trains need to use it to get to the Chemical coast area.