• three-two coach seating on the New Haven

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by fordhamroad

-when did the New Haven start using three-two seating on their coach cars?

Thanks

Roger
  by Tom Curtin

The oldest equipment I personally experienced that had 3-2 were the round-roof MUs dating to 1926-1931.

The earlier clerestory roof MUs dating to 1914 may have also but since I never rode those I will leave it to somebody else to comment on.

I don't believe any NH cars other than MUs had 3-2 seats but I can't swear to this.
  by Noel Weaver

So far as I am aware the round roof MU's were the first cars with 3 and 2 seating. They were referred by the railroad as
"MU - Large". The railroad roof MU cars which came before the above cars with enclosed vestibules were referred to as
"MU - Plush" and they had 2 and 2 seating. Incidentally the seats in the plush cars were pretty comfortable, I rode in and ran
these cars too.
I suspect the open platform MU's had seating like the plush cars but I can't swear to that one.
I think the only other NHRR cars that might have had 3 and 2 seating might have been one of the old gas electric cars.
Noel Weaver