Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#65749  by mwichten

There is an article in this week's Smithtown News stating that Three Guys Hobbies is closing. Evidently the landlord wants them out for a new tenant to move in later this month.

The store owner is quoted in the article saying that it could not have come at a worse time, they have all their holiday inventory that they have to get rid of. There is a picture of the store with a big going out of business sale sign in the front window.

It is sad to see it go. Hopefully they will be able to move some merchandise before they must vacate.

#65817  by SeldenJrFireman

I have been going there since I can remember! I hope they can find a temporary place to put there stuff, if they intend to open up again.

#65853  by Lupo 10

I too have been going since I got into modelling (1984-85) and am sad to see them go. Of course for a hobby shop to survive in the days of ebay and mail order is a pretty tall order. I wish them well. I'll have to pay one last visit.

#66039  by BEDT16RMLI

I was there last nite she is trying to find a new place

#66224  by Paul

Anybody care to run over there and see if they have any H.O. scale "SUNRISE SPECIAL" decals left? Let me know off board at [email protected].
I got my second Locomotive Cyclopedia (1966) from them when I got out of the service in 1981. The other hobby shop I miss was Fletchers, in Centereach.

#66841  by DSteckler

I remember Fletchers! As a kid I used to ride my bike there from Smithtown and I bought some Pasticville kits there.

I was never that impressed with Three Guys.

#67018  by BEDT16RMLI

it is still one of the only place left to buy trains in Eastern Long Island, now with the Closing of Eastern Hobbies (miller place) this up comming April, and if 3 Guys Shutts their door which I hope not, they may still move, the only Hobby Shop left that is worth a grain of salt in Suffolk County is Bay Shore Hobbies, and I hate going there, my ex lives to close by

#67514  by Paul

Another good place that came and went was The Frog Hobby Shop on Rt 25 in Nesconset, between Lake Ave and Southern Blvd. I used to walk or ride my bike there. How ever it took me to get there I did at least once (sometimes more) a week. A friend of mine's uncle was one of the owners and I may have even been among the first customers. Later on they expanded to a warehouse in Haupaugue and it was never the same. I guess they closed up around 1980 or a little before. The original employees were great guys.

#67530  by SeldenJrFireman

Bayshore hobbies is ok, but it is way to crowded with all the stuff in there. I am suprised he hasn't been shut down.

#67906  by BEDT16RMLI

he has alot of stuff and since the Bagel store is now next store he cant expand, but he has some good stuff

#68485  by Lupo 10

You want to talk crowded? If you have never had the pleasure (or displeasure) take a trip to the Red Caboose in Manhatten (45th street between 5th and 6th).

Dirty broken display cases, with broken crap inside them, crap laying on the floor that's been there a million years and has original price tags on it, aisle ways blocked with boxes and junk (not to mention his cat's litter box), employees that look like they were hired off the street and nothing in order with no rhyme or reason to organization.

Nothing could be more crowded than what I call the "cat man" because of his cat which walks all over the merchandise not to mention him. Scary, scary place.

BUT, with all that said, I still find myself attracted to it every now and then like a bad car wreck.
 #69570  by Mr rt

Joe, It's part of the holiday tradition !
First stop at the Citi exhibit, thenm the Red Caboose, then Macys' to give Santa your wish list :-)

#69653  by njtmnrrbuff

The Red Caboose a.k.a Bermuda, I see it's still there. The last time I was there was like 7 years ago. It still hasn't changed. No offense, that guy in there does seem like he needs some fixing up on certain things.

#69688  by Lupo 10

Yes, Alan (catman), the Professor (with his medals and hipwaders) and Francis (foo man choo) are a comical bunch.