Railroad Forums 

• Those magnificent Erie steamers

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#239597  by ERIE K-5 2929

Hello, All! I was made known of this forum by a good friend and decided to join up. I'm looking forward to bieng a part of your forums and discussions! I thought it would be appropriate for my first posting here to discuss the magnificent steam-breathing thoroughbreds once rostered by the Erie. It was obvious that the Erie's hoggers took especial pride in their engines; many old photos clearly reflect this pride in these beautiful machines. What are your favorite Erie steamers? My particular favorites are the K-5's and the Atlantics........magnificent steeds of iron!! :-D
 #240231  by pjb

:P
I remember the lighter and older K-1 Pacifics better, that were
well maintained to the end. They were also the last regularly assigned
passenger power, ending the steam era hauling commuter runs
in northern New Jersey. Some of them were shopped and sent to
aid the South Korean railways recover during and after the war with
the reds. The K-1s were hand bombers, and generally less efficient
and powerful, than your USRA heavies; the K-5s.

I remember being aboard Erie 2-10-2s, because the rides were
almost like taking a dory through the surf. Awful stuff, that wore
on ones back and spine. Similarly to what I recall, caused the
chronic problems suffered by oldtime teamsters (1920s-60s);
which they acquired from pushing rigs over the highways of
that era.

Russian Decapods were very plentiful, and also very well designed.
They were meant for all classes of track, and packed a terrific
power to weight ratio - that was unmatched by most other locos
in the world.

The big 0-8-0s which hung around pretty much until the pacifics
passed, were very impressive locos. My favorite Erie locos are
some I know only from photos and engravings. The only ten
coupled camelbacks, the camelback mallets used to shove
Starucca, along with earlier wide gauge kettles, are especially
memorable for me...and are my favorites.
Good-Luck,
PJB

#240363  by ERIE K-5 2929

PJB: Great post, great stats and info!! Thanks!! I had read, awhile ago, about some Erie steamers bieng sent to South Korea......wonder if any survive?? (that's a LOOOONNGGG way from Jersey City!!) The Mallets were absolutely AWESOME monsters....you wondered how the rails didn't bend under their tremendous bulk!! The Atlantics were fine engines also, but, my all-time favorite Erie steamer will always be the K-5! Best, J

#240479  by mp15ac

My favorite Erie steamers were the big 2-8-4's, primarily the ones built by Alco. They used a conventional trailing truck, not the stuck articulated one designed by Lima, and used on the Lima and Baldwin built 2-8-4's.

Stuart

#244285  by scottychaos

kotaroooo wrote:I suppose Erie locomotive sent to South Korea is this.
http://www.pernet.net/~james1/us_steam/korea.htm
http://www.pernet.net/~james1/us_steam/ERIE_K1.GIF
neither of those links work. :(

the current existance of a Erie pacific in Korea sadly has not been confirmed..many people have tried to find it.
it remains firmly in the "Railroad Urban Lengend" catagory..

Scot
 #244318  by TB Diamond

The big Berks get my vote. Watched them pass our house from my bedroom window back in the early 1950s. Quite a site and did they ever make that house shake. Even took a few photos of them with a Kodak Baby Brownie Special camera. The diesels that took over were a letdown, alas.
 #245221  by ErieAtlantic7597

The engines that I remember clearly were the fast running K1s on commuter trains. they seemed to be going east and west through the River Street station every few minutes. Some stopped but others went through in a hurry. This would have been the late fortys or early fiftys, so these babies were old already. Great memories.

take care,

Bruce

#245637  by jmp883

ScottyChaos wrote:
the current existance of a Erie pacific in Korea sadly has not been confirmed..many people have tried to find it.
it remains firmly in the "Railroad Urban Lengend" catagory..

Check the pages of the Morning Sun book Erie Railroad In Color. There are several photos of Erie steam in Korea. The steamer in the photos has an Erie logo on it and the photo captions briefly tell the story of how the Erie steamers ended up in Korea.

#258740  by erie2521

I, too, will cast a vote for the K-1's. In the 1930's and '40's, we had few on the Rochester Division. Trains No. 467 and 468 had K-1's some years. Other years they got 5000-series doodlebugs - sort of an on and off situation. No. 468 was a milk train and between Livonia and Conesus, there was a flag stop at South Livonia. Rarely did they have to stop there which gave them about 7 miles non-stop. The first mile south of South Livonia was completely straight and the K-1's would regularly get up to 60-65mph, occasionally more, on that stretch. (Speed limit was 50mph!) It was exciting riding that train - I was in high school at the time. The interesting thing was that the K-1's also handled the time freights between Corning and Avon although south bound between Avon and Wayland they might need help from an H21 2-8-0. Among the K-1's we had were 2521, 2532 (my favorite), 2544, 2545, 2546 and 2565. Ted
 #260511  by ErieAtlantic7597

Friends,

As a live steamer and a person that grew up on Putnam St. Paterson, NJ, on half block from the River Street station on the Erie main, I remember the older, smaller steamers most of all.
I've changed an 1 1/2 inch scale A6 SP Atlantic to look a great deal like an Erie commuter Atlantic. Little did I know, while I was in the building stages of this locomotive, that my memory of what they looked like was takeing me toward a K1 appearance. At that time I did not have the wonderful book ERIE POWER. So I was going strictly from memory from when I was a kid.
A good friend, Ed King, some here will recognize that name, gave me the Erie Power book. It was then that I realized where my memory had taken me. But I already had acquired a Vandy tender plus a few other major items. And I was already a little to deep into the project to make any major changes. So my Eire Atlantic, (1903 E3), has a decidedly K 1 look to it.
To take a peek at my Erie Atlantic, go to www.buckinghamcentralrr.com
or railfan.net, the live steam/ride on scales thread There are a number of photos at either of these sites.I hope everyone enjoys these pics.
As to the K5s. They were true USRA heavy Pacifics. The Erie was the only railroad to have employed these locomotives.
And the S class Berks. Until I received the wonderful gift of the Erie Power book, I did'nt even realize the Erie had such engines. Any locomotive in the NE, that was built in the late twentys and that stood 16'4'' from rail head to top of stack, with almost a one hundred inch wide boiler, was unuseual to say the least. I'm certain that the fact that the Erie was originally built to six foot gauge might have had something to do with these huge sized engines.
Sorry for rambling on so.

Take care,

Bruce (ErieAtlantic7597)