Railroad Forums 

• This should be interesting- air rights for hotel

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#235372  by MEC407

Article in today's Portland Press Herald:

"For the past two months, Swenson and Old Orchard Beach officials have been in discussions with Guilford Rail about obtaining air rights above about 350 feet of train tracks that run parallel to West Grand Avenue."

"Swenson needs the rights because he wants to build a 100-room hotel and a 450-car parking garage that would rise nine stories above the tracks, with a tunnel through the project for trains."

Read the entire article at:

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/ ... 3oob.shtml

#235386  by viewfinder

RBP
Last edited by viewfinder on Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#235389  by octr202

When they refer to their run-thrus with the NS as "code sharing" is when I'll really be worried...

#235516  by TomNelligan

There's nothing especially unusual about air rights projects involving railroad tracks, just that the subject normally comes up in densely built up cities rather than in a town like Old Orchard Beach. Just look at the ex-NH and ex-B&A lines through Boston's Back Bay for a local example (or the Appleby's restaurant in Newton Corner that sits over the tracks and vibrates whenever a train goes by). In OOB it's the limited property for development right along the water that makes air rights construction sensible.

#235522  by CN9634

octr202 wrote:When they refer to their run-thrus with the NS as "code sharing" is when I'll really be worried...
Runs thrus? When? Is this all about that silly rumor :-D

#235655  by b&m 1566

Yeah that's just great, the last thing I would want is to have a train 100 cars long go rolling by in the middle of the night shaking my bed as I'm trying to sleep! I hope they make the tunnel (if this does happen) big enough to support a second or even a third track if it's someday needed.

#235656  by MEC407

b&m 1566 wrote:Yeah that's just great, the last thing I would want is to have a train 100 cars long go rolling by in the middle of the night shaking my bed as I'm trying to sleep!
That's already the case with most of the hotels/motels in OOB -- they're mere feet/inches from the tracks.

#265231  by MEC407

Old Orchard Beach developer Tim Swenson has reached an agreement with Guilford Rail System that would allow him to build a 100-room hotel straddling the train tracks in the center of town.
Read the rest:

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/ ... nson.shtml