Railroad Forums 

• Thendara Station Plans

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#825861  by jurtz

I would like to model the Thendara station (NYC Adirondack Division) and I was wondering if anyone knew if any station drawings were available. The CD's at the NYCRR historical society do not seem to contain station plans.
 #826037  by Cactus Jack

I seem to recall a railroad model magazine back in the '90's had such plans for modelers. It is out there someplace, sorry I can't be more specific.
 #829154  by Charlie C

The Thendara Station plans are in the March 1980 issue of Model Railroader. Harold W.Russell wrote the article which concentrated on the lines operations during the 1980 Winter Olympics. The plans and a photo do not show a second story dormer that is now on the building. According to photos in Fairy Tale Railroad several other stations seem to have been built to these plans without the shed. Forestport and White Lake come to mind.

I built a paper and card stock model of this station for my modular layout to hold the place until I build a strip wood model.

Charlie C.
 #830945  by jurtz

Thanks, Charlie C. I have an inquiry into Model Railroader about obtaining a copy of the article, and a quick check on e-Bay suggests I should not have a major problem finding a copy elsewhere if MR can't provide one.
 #830967  by Cactus Jack

Regarding the dormer on the west side of Thendara Station, I think it was removed in the '40's or '50's. It was then restored CA 1999-2001 - can't recall the exact date. I suspect account of roof issues and leaks as the dormer on the east side overlooking Van Aukens certainly had some issues over the years.
 #831479  by traingeek8223

Use photos of the building in regards to the windows, as the one's in the plans from the artical are wrong. The placement is correct but the window paines are not. From my research you won't find comercial castings that are correct and will have to kit bash (if your building a model, if not than that doesn't matter).