Railroad Forums 

• the ULTIMATE New York State aerial photo site!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#63236  by nessman

Sounds like a good question for Edith Lank!

#63470  by sd80mac

For the most part, residential properties do not reveal the homeowner's name.
Actually, I do see the names of the properties at my work

ken

#64185  by CoalTrain

I haven't been able to decipher the mapping website. Can you give a brief overview of the procedure to follow to obtain aerial photos similar to what you posted on this forum?
 #64281  by clearblock

CoalTrain,

Here is a quick, basic procedure for the nys map site:

Click on the magnifying glass with a "+" tool that is next to the map.

Your cursor will change to the magnifying glass tool. Place it over the location on the map you want to see. Click repeatedly to zoom in on the exact spot you want.

As you zoom in, more detailed maps will appear. When the area shown in the box below the map gets down to about 1 mile, the maps will change to a photo. You can zoom in further on the photo or move around with the arrows on the border of the map.

I hope this helps.

#64382  by SST

I tried this for the first time last night. I used it to check out East Aurora. Pretty good. Then I got the thought to check out JFK and see if I could see any 747's. No luck. I first focused on TWA's T5 and although I could make out the terminal, everything was kinda washed out. The 747 at the IAB was really blurry. Oh well. The tracks to the LIRR were in the clear though.

#64384  by CoalTrain

clearblock

Thanks for the help on the map site. It worked very well. It just doesn't work in Netscape! The magnifying glass doesn't appear on the map. :( Life is tough sometimes for us Netscape fans!

#64390  by CoalTrain

clearblock and scottychaos

This map site is fantastic. I just found some things away from roads that I've wondered about for years.
Scottychaos or clearblock, how did you get the full screen images? I can't find anything on the screen to allow that choice.

#64415  by scottychaos

Coaltrain,
those photos I posted in the first message arent really full screen..
I simply did a screen capture, pasted it into photoshop,
then cropped out everything except the image! ;)
Scot

#64436  by tony_p

I took a look at this site. These seem to be the best of the free sites. However, the GlobeXplorer images appear to be much higher reolution, although you need to pay for a subscription to get non-watermarked images.

#64542  by nessman

SST wrote:I tried this for the first time last night. I used it to check out East Aurora. Pretty good. Then I got the thought to check out JFK and see if I could see any 747's. No luck. I first focused on TWA's T5 and although I could make out the terminal, everything was kinda washed out. The 747 at the IAB was really blurry. Oh well. The tracks to the LIRR were in the clear though.
Previously, the "senstive" areas such as airports, power plants, etc... were blacked out after 9/11. Looks like they've loosened up a bit and blurred the images a bit when looked at real close.