Railroad Forums 

• The T and Large Events

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1419462  by BandA

Weekends, they have to pay the engineer and the conductors the same hourly rate. They don't have any RDCs. The HSP46s are overkill to pull a coach or two, and the older engines are ready for the boneyard, allegedly. Without weekday rush hour CR service, many commutes would become impossible and people and companies would move elsewhere. Nothing depends on the weekend service. You can drive the speed limit on the Mass Pike and I-93. In fact, they should eliminate weekend CR service and use the money for even bigger legislative pay raises :wink:

What does weekend service have going for it? CR on weekends is faster than the rabid transit. With long headways between subway/trolley/bus service, you could possibly spend less time waiting for a CR train running on an accurate schedule than subway/trolleys running semi-randomly.

Weekend solution? Make parking free. Acquire some refurbished RDCs. Install automatic doors and Charlie Card fareboxes. Negotiate single train operation with the union for these weekend one or two car RDCs when <100 passengers are expected, and minimal number of conductors when >100. When in single operator mode, use front door only and high-level boarding only. Reduce fare to match rapid-transit fare for the same distance. Offer cheap family fares for 2-6 riders weekends and off-peak. Reduce weekend fare to about 1/44th of the monthly rate.

Concentrate on short-turn runs out to about 1 stop or so past 128: Wellesley on the Framingham line, Canton Juncton on the NEC, Dedham Corporate via Fairmont. Anderson to the north, Roberts on the Fitchburg. Lynn. Express Braintree-Quincy-BOS. This would be a great way to experiment.

As for the original subject of the thread, have large events subsidize the extra T service as part of their budgets. Force paying conventions to include Charlie Cards preloaded with unlimited day passes for specific days.
 #1419489  by Disney Guy

Do we really want to do something about public transportation to large events in downtown Boston? This is a completely different and independent topic from making commuter rail more attractive on a "normal" weekend.

Was the commuter rail maxed out for the post-inaugural Women's March? For First Night? For the Fourth? For the last Red Sox world series parade?

If not, then how much would it cost to charter a train?

The MBTA would estimate the ridership for the large event and charter from Keolis additional trains over and above what Keolis planned for the day, up to maxing out the system. Included would be enough trains after the event to take people home who took the train in to the event.

The T would also need to take measures to win back would-be passengers who tried to take commuter rail to a large event but could not because that trains bypassed them because of overcrowding. Without this, predicting ridership would be more difficult.
 #1419654  by Arborwayfan

Really cheap weekend family / group fares are an idea. The weekends have a lot more group/family outings, so the T is competing in a different market on weekends, as some of you have already said. Metra in Chicago allows one or two kids under about 12 years free on weekends with a paying adult. UTA Trax and Frontrunner offer 4-person group passes for less than the price of three fares, any time, any day; I guess they figure they'll get people who wouldn't otherwise ride and thereby make more money out of trains they are running anyway.
 #1419663  by Diverging Route

Two weekend incentives used to be in place:
Passholders can take a companion for free on Sundays (any T mode including commuter rail)
Family fare -- as I recall it was one adult can take up to four companions under 18 for half fare (commuter rail only)

Both have been gone for a decade or more, eliminated during one of the budget crunch crises.
 #1419695  by ST214

I can't remember what event it was, but it was the major event that was done right. I am sure it was one of the Red Sox parades. There were five lines outside North Station after the event, and as soon as a trainset and a crew were in position, they loaded and went.
 #1419726  by nomis

sonicdoommario, of the 8 double decker sets, 1 out of Worcester, 1 out of Pawtucket and 1 out of Boston.
 #1419738  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

The NFL Network is reporting that a Patriots victory parade is scheduled for 11am on Tuesday
February 7th in Boston. The MBTA has at least today to set up a service plan and they can fall
back on what they provided for the four previous Super Bowl celebrations. This is one that the
Patriots earned with the largest comeback and first ever overtime victory in Super Bowl history.

MACTRAXX
 #1419746  by deathtopumpkins

The T is reportedly working on a service plan for tomorrow. The website is already encouraging fans to buy CharlieTickets in advance.

I'm annoyed that I can't work from home tomorrow and miss the crowds, but not too concerned about this one. It's hardly the first time Boston's hosted such a parade in recent years - and the 2015 one had all that snow to deal with too!
 #1419804  by sonicdoommario

nomis wrote:sonicdoommario, of the 8 double decker sets, 1 out of Worcester, 1 out of Pawtucket and 1 out of Boston.
Hm, I thought there were three 8 double sets used on the Providence line. 806/842/808 in the morning, 821/823/825 in the evening. I know 808 is in Pawtucket, and is used for 825 and then the 834/835 turns. After 835 it lays over in Pawtucket.

843 lays over in Boston, right? It turns to 842, and then I believe it's used for 821, and then the 832 local turn. Does it stay in Boston afterwards?

I remember hearing someone saying that 806 is also an 8 double set (and I swore I've seen this train with that set too). Wouldn't that need to start out in Pawtucket? Based on the schedule it looks like train 823 stays in Pawtucket for the night, don't see where the next turn out of Providence starts out at when 823 terminates in Providence. Plus when driving home from work (on days where I stay late), I do see one train in the layover yard after 6:30ish.
 #1419810  by dm1120

deathtopumpkins wrote:The T is reportedly working on a service plan for tomorrow. The website is already encouraging fans to buy CharlieTickets in advance.

I'm annoyed that I can't work from home tomorrow and miss the crowds, but not too concerned about this one. It's hardly the first time Boston's hosted such a parade in recent years - and the 2015 one had all that snow to deal with too!
According to an email the MBTA sent out earlier, the "plan" is for people to just magically alter their schedule to take early trains that are supposedly less crowded. Given my experience on the 804 which is routinely short a car or a crew member and is standing room only by the time it leaves Sharon, I expect tomorrow to be a colossal disaster systemwide.
 #1419813  by Red Wing

Well I have no doubt that the system that is run by the T will do fine, I bet you that commuter rail will deliver subpar service, even though they've had a couple of weeks to prepare.
 #1419815  by dm1120

Red Wing wrote:Well I have no doubt that the system that is run by the T will do fine, I bet you that commuter rail will deliver subpar service, even though they've had a couple of weeks to prepare.
There is no preparation- they just warn people everything will be overcrowded and to allow extra time.

I have no idea why you think the subway will do any better- it can't really handle the extra demand that well either and the weather tomorrow is going to be awful.