Railroad Forums 

• The T and Large Events

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1501602  by benboston

I think that the 10-minute frequencies in the Netherlands actually does apply here. We should strive for such frequencies on some routes, and on other routes, we should strive to achieve those frequencies for part of the route, for example, 10-minute frequencies to Littleton/Rte 495 on the Fitchburg Line. Also, 10-minute frequencies on the Worcester Line all the way to Worcester. Worcester is growing fast, and it is expected to reach a population of 200,000 for the first time since 1950 again. This means that it should see train service that reflects such growth. Possibly a downtown streetcar service as well.
 #1501716  by Lentinula

benboston wrote: Possibly a downtown streetcar service as well.
i support this line of thinking because last-mile transit in Worcester is abysmal. The poor RTA is just sort of a barely functional, flailing mass of missed opportunities.
 #1501740  by CRail

MOD NOTE: I’m very much in favor of discussing RTA rail concepts here but not in this thread. If a discussion inspires a new idea please feel free to start a new topic.
 #1503799  by Disney Guy

I wasn't there mid-day (Sun. March 17) but the appearance of the Riverside parking lot ca 6 PM suggested to me that the lot was not full for the St, Paddy's parade.

Parade attendance was estimated at a million.

(If the lot had been filled, there would still have been scattered cars throughout come 6 PM whereas actually the outer reaches had large unfilled areas.)
 #1510955  by Diverging Route

Two data points from today (Boston Pride Parade).

Train #1804, 8:50am from Mansfield. Five car set (two doubles, three singles). Four cars were open entering Mansfield; the crowd of ~100 there caused the control car to be open. By Canton Junction, standees in our coach -- so I assume all coaches. A larger set would have helped.

Train #1811, 4:30pm from South Station to Providence. Same set of two doubles and three singles. When boarding started at South Station, only the head two cars (one double one single) were set up and open. The crowd filled those quickly and on their own started back into the dark coaches. Eventually the crew put the lights/AC on. By Back Bay, there were standees -- and Ruggles added many more as the Red Sox game was letting out. A larger set would have helped. There was a very pleasant new-hire (A/C with white shirt) who was still collecting fares after Canton Junction outbound. She told me it was her 22nd day on the job and looking forward to a long career :)
 #1516792  by RenegadeMonster

Tell me about the Patriots train.

Where can the schedule be found. I am going to the preseason game on the 22 and am interested in taking the train from South Station if it's running.

Also, is there any chance of making it back to North Station to catch the 12:10 Rockport Train or 12:15 Newburyport train home or should I plan on alternate transportation to get back to Salem after the Game?
 #1516879  by Rbts Stn

RenegadeMonster wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:53 pm Tell me about the Patriots train.

Where can the schedule be found. I am going to the preseason game on the 22 and am interested in taking the train from South Station if it's running.

Also, is there any chance of making it back to North Station to catch the 12:10 Rockport Train or 12:15 Newburyport train home or should I plan on alternate transportation to get back to Salem after the Game?
Return train is "30 minutes after the game ends", so you'll have to figure out when that is likely to be. 7:30PM Start = likely 10:30PM end, train heads back to Boston at 11PM . . . . you might just make it if things go smoothly, but I'd have a Plan B in mind
 #1516911  by Trinnau

And with an hour on the schedule you're best connection is to get off at Back Bay and head to North Station. That would be pretty tight getting off at Back Bay at Midnight to hop the Orange for a 12:15pm North Station departure.
 #1516957  by GP40MC1118

Just an FYI, they are running a double-draft extra to Gillette for the George Strait
concert Saturday. 245PM from South Station via the Franklin Branch/Walpole.
 #1516974  by troffey

RenegadeMonster wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:53 pm Tell me about the Patriots train.

Anecdotal, but when I took the train to a Thursday night game (regular season, so 8:15ish for kick I believe) we didn't make it back to South Station until after 1am.