• The SIRR and RVRR V

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, mikec, cjl330

by CJPat

How do the cars/hoppers/tankers currently interchange with the yard off of the SIRT at Bayway? Using Google maps/satellite, I can't make out the connection with the Chemical Coast.

I can see the yard off of the Chemical Coast on the east side of the Turnpike next to the Goethels Bridge and I can see the large yard elevated (?) along the SIRT as well as a couple of smaller yards within the midst of the Bayway processing facility. I can even make out an old unused spur that branches out easterly to reach the tank fields along the Arthur Kill from the Chemical Coast. And obviously with the chunk of track out leading over to Staten Island across the Kill, nothing is coming from that direction.

I just can't make out how the cars have been getting to the SIRT yard from the Chem Coast. A little help please? I am also aware of the single track that parallels the west side of the Turnpike. Does this single track cut under the highway and connect to the Chemical Coast and provide the needed access?

Also, I don't know if there are any plans to construct an interchange between the LVRR and the SIRT in Cranford, but without it, would tank car and hoppers have a quicker ride out west along the old CNJ (atleast out to Bound Brook where they could rejoin the LVRR at that point) rather than run north along the Chem Coast to Oak Island for dispatch to the west?

I am not all that familiar with the freight dispatch procedures for the area.

by ChooChooHead2

Damn! It figures the first move would happen while I was at work. (I take a longer route to work just to pass by the South Ave crossing, and all looked quiet this morning as it has for some time.)

Did anyone fortunate enough to witness this take note on how the level crossings were handled? (Flags, flares, etc.)

by wolfboy8171981

The connection from Bayway yard to Conoco Phillips is directly under exit 13A of the NJTPK.

by rvrrhs

Very surprising that this went unreported in the Union County section of the Union County edition of today's Star-Ledger. Hmmmmm.....

by njt4172

rvrrhs wrote:Very surprising that this went unreported in the Union County section of the Union County edition of today's Star-Ledger. Hmmmmm.....

And another thing that is strange is that M&E took the picture of the first train off their website!!! I just looked and it was gone!!! Maybe they really want to keep it quiet as to not get the NIMBYS stirred up........

Steve

by rvrrhs

njt4172 wrote:

And another thing that is strange is that M&E took the picture of the first train off their website!!! I just looked and it was gone!!! Maybe they really want to keep it quiet as to not get the NIMBYS stirred up........

Steve
Funny, I just went there after reading the above, and the picture WAS there.

by njt4172

Ok, I just checkedthe site out from Internet Explorer and it was there! For some reason on AOL the page was never updated.....ODD...

by Alcoman

The picture is still there. I use Netscape 7.2

by David

What is still to be completed on this line?--Thanks

by BigDell

Wow!!! Waiting and waiting for such a long time and suddenly there it is!
What a great picture of the train crossing St. George Ave! This is really gratifying and quite exciting... I hope "the business" begins soon.
Now I'd like to see this continue West of old CNJ main....

Really great news and a great picture!
BigDell

by BigDell

Anyone know of any future scheduled runs?
I'd take a day from work to shoot it....

by Metalrailz

"A picture is worth a thousand words"

Fighting townships in court trying to block a reactivation - umpteen dollars
Reactivation of an 00S line - Umpteen dollars.
Picture of the first train rolling down the rebuilt ROW - Priceless!!!

Thank you Gordon Fullerr and all who work at the M&E.)Standing Ovation(

by AlcoMD

The M&E crew should be commended for seeing this thing through.

With diesel fuel at two bucks a gallon and rising, these numbskulls better get used to trains running through their backyards.

better yet-raise the gas tax 15 cents a gallon so that the state can bring all the roads back to spec. that have been destroyed by TRUCK traffic.

by Alcoman

AlcoMD wrote:The M&E crew should be commended for seeing this thing through.

With diesel fuel at two bucks a gallon and rising, these numbskulls better get used to trains running through their backyards.

better yet-raise the gas tax 15 cents a gallon so that the state can bring all the roads back to spec. that have been destroyed by TRUCK traffic.

The other thing along these lines is better enforcement of both weight regulations and speed. Both of which seems to have been forgotten by most police depts. I always reminded of this when I am doing 70mph and a truck passes me doing 80 or higher.