Railroad Forums 

• The SIRR AND RVRR II

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#63725  by CNJFAN

OH BOY!!
Here we go again!!!!!

#63764  by rvrrhs

Besides, its a freight-only line (at least for the foreseeable future), so I'm not sure why it would be called "rapid transit."

#63837  by njt4172

Trainlawyer wrote:
mikec wrote:I dont think there is a plan for an seamless connection since both lines will interchange with NS or CSX out in Manville. They have already made it know that both Lines will be known as the Rahway Valley Railroad. Which makes of us around here very happy
Realizing that my failure to bow before the great M&E has at least one of you claiming that I am a NIMBY - Show me any filing or decision that actually gives them rights over New Jersey Transit and Shared Assets into Manville.

GME

Trainlawyer,

Well what is it?? Are you or aren't you a NIMBY????? Inquiring minds want to know!

Steve

#63868  by CGRLCDR

Can we just stop the bickering? Many of us are just interested in the progress being made re-establisng a couple of rail lines that we thought were defunct. This name calling is not productive and will result in someone just starting a new post because this one has gotten too heated. This happens here frequently among people who have a lot more in common than we do differences; let's just let it drop and move on.

#63986  by Sirsonic

As there seems to be some confusion here about what is going to happen, to clarify.

-The M&E will not be accessing Staten Island, or AK Draw, at least not according to the authority that owns the line in Staten Island, and has designated another operator for that portion of the line.

-The M&E has, to date, not offically recieved any rights to operate over any portion of the Garwood Industrial, the Raritan Line, or the Lehigh Line. In fact, acording to the letter from the Conrail general counsel submitted in response to the filling by the M&E to operate the SIRY and RV, they have not only not recieved any rights, there has been no discussion of any rights.

-The M&E will not be handling any intermodal traffic over the SIRR as this traffic would be coming from Staten Island, to wich they do not have access.

-The M&E will not be handling any garbage from Staten Island, as again, they do not have access to that traffic.

-The M&E has never even proposed that they would carry traffic from the SIRR and RV to Manville. To do such would, again, require an agrement which must be filled with the STB. To date, no such agreement exists.

-In their filling to operate the SIRR and RV, the M&E makes mention of a right to somehow connect the SIRR and RV. This may involve the reinstallation of several switches in Cranford, or the granting for trackage rights on the Raritan Line to access one from the other. To date, there has been nothing to indicate either, and NJT may disagree with any claim or rights to enter or cross NJT property.

Finally, I am not speaking for Trainlawyer, but I myself am not a NIMBY, and I do not believe he is either. I would like to see both the SIRR and RV running again, if only for the fact that it might help attract new business to Union County, or encourage existing business to stay here. The fact that I am looking at everything that is happening from an objcetive standpoint does not mean that I am not in favor of this project.

#64016  by Jayjay1213

Who was designated to run the SIRR?

#64055  by cjvrr

JayJay,

The portion on Staten Island will be run by I believe CSX, but it could also be Conrail Shared Assets (CSX and NS own Conrail Shared Assets).

#64092  by markyk

Conrail Shared Assets was named for the Staten Island Portion a few months back.............

Sirsonic,

Good to see you back on these boards........

#64111  by CNJFAN

Could someone please answer this question.
Why is it that there are M&E trucks on the Staten Island line doing the rehab work on the rails?
This is a little confusing to me.
I am aware that the M&E will be in charge of the former RVRR.
According to previous Star Ledger articles, it was the M&E that was also taking over the Staten Island operations, unless you can't believe everything the newspaper reports.

#64180  by Camelback

CNJFAN wrote:Could someone please answer this question.
Why is it that there are M&E trucks on the Staten Island line doing the rehab work on the rails?
This is a little confusing to me.
I am aware that the M&E will be in charge of the former RVRR.
According to previous Star Ledger articles, it was the M&E that was also taking over the Staten Island operations, unless you can't believe everything the newspaper reports.
What the M&E is doing the rehab work on is the portion of the former SIRR in Union County, NJ. They will not, however, operate or work on the portion of the SIRR that is located in Staten Island, NY. In fact, the AK draw will no longer be accessed by the portion of the former SIRR in New Jersey, as trains crossing that bridge into New Jersey will enter the Chemical Coast.

Train Lawyer raises a good point. Does the M&E plan to operate over NJT's Raritan Valley Line and the Lehigh Line to access Manville or is there some other plan?

The M&E is usually tight lipped about such things. But from what we've seen based on the work they have already done is this. The SIRR was rehabbed first and is almost finished. They can begin work on the former RVRR but it appears as though they are in the process of re-building a small yard in Cranford and that this takes priority over rehabbing the Rahway Valley which, according to most of their press releases (which should be taken with a grain of salt) won't be operational for at least two years.

What can they access along the SIRR? I believe they can enter Tosco from there where they have a switching operation. This means they probably plan on bringing hoppers full of plastic pellets into Cranford, to interchange with whom? Customers along the Garwood Industrial? A secret garbage transfer station?

My best guess is that they are counting on big traffic increases on the Chemical Coast, making a second interchange between Tosco and the big carriers an attractive option. Perhaps they are hoping that Norfolk Southern will consider getting permission to use the Aldene ramp to access the Cranford yard. Or pick up hoppers in Cranford and bring them into Manville via the Raritan Valley. To me this makes the most sense as to the M&E's plan in this.

#64182  by markyk

CNJFAN,

The Old SIRT from Cranford to about the NJ Turnpike is being rehabilitaed and will be operated by the Morristown and Erie.....

The line is severed just east of the NJ Turnpike. The SIRT east of this into Staten Island via AK Draw Bridge, will be serviced by Conrail Shared Assets. It will connect to the Chemical Coast very close to where the line is currently severed.

This portion is being rehabilitaed by private contractors funded through the NJ/NY Port Authority.........

Hope this clears the confusion

mark

#64197  by Sirsonic

Also, while the M&E, and now Railroad Construction are performing the work of rehabilitating the SIRY and RV, the M&E is not paying for it. They are spending money allocated and provided by the state for this project.

If there was a Star-Ledger article indicating in any way the M&E would have anything to do with operations on Staten Island, it would be in error.

#64230  by CNJFAN

Thanks everyone for straightening this out.
I was only going by what the Star Ledger stated.
Happy Halloween!

#65580  by TheBaran

The Stop The Train politicians and activists had recently urged the people to get out on November 2 and vote in new Freeholders who will work to stop the reactivation. Republican campaign literature cited the train issue as one of the reasons to vote them in.

Apparently, the majority of the voters ranked the reactivation of the rail lines as a minor issue as the incumbents were re-elected.

#65844  by kilroy

Or, like me, they considered the reactivation a major issue and voted for the incumbants.