Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#145031  by NJTRailfan

I was wonderign is there a possiblity to extend the S shuttle to PABT and NYP? I know the 7 line extension is supposed to take care of it but what about the S Line?

#145082  by R142A

The 7 will be extending to Javits, not PABT or NYP. The shuttle would be almost impossible to continue to PABT or NYP due to its layout.

#145223  by NJTRailfan

Thanks for the info

How bad is the lay out and what is the obstical for the S to be extended to PABT and NYP? Also I did hear about the 7 going to PABT and NYP and then terminating just outisde the Javits. These two places to seem to be on the way. Whats the problem?

#145301  by drewh

The S shuttle is part of the original subway line that went from City Hall north to 42nd st, then west along the current shuttle, and north again along what is today the 123.

They then extended north of 42nd along Lex, and south along 7th Ave, thus bringing the need for the shuttle between the 2 extended lines.

The end of the shuttle tracks at 7th, are right next to the 123 tracks.

In order to extend, they would have to tunnel under the 123, which would require a complete rework of the existing shuttle station.

#145377  by NJTRailfan

Has the MTA expressed any intrest to do something like this by building a new station for the S or did they decide it would be more efficient by extending the 7?
 #145416  by Kurt

At Times Square, not only do you have the 1,2,&3, but also the N,R,Q, &W below both the S an 1,2,&3 lines. The S as mentioned then turns to the north. in order to turn towards the west(PABT), it would wipe out the mezzanine for the entire complex. The 7 extension to the Javits is supposed to include access to PABT, but on the 10 Ave side near 40th or 41 street

#146010  by NJTRailfan

Damn! So I guess in that case expandign the S is out. What about the access to NY Penn? How close would it be to the trains Would the access to the PABT be the same distance or shorter? (and if so how short compered to the walk in the extremely long cooridoor from the PABT to the 7 in Times Square)

Thanks

#146480  by 7 Train

I would instead have the 7 extended down the West Side Highway from Javits Center to Lower Manhattan & Brooklyn serving Battery Park City and the WTC.

#146733  by NJTRailfan

Thats a good plan but I hope it would serve the PABT alogn with NYP as well.

#147446  by drewh

Would the 7 train be compatible with the L line?? It would be interesting to extend the 7 past the PABT, NYP, and the Javits centre, then down to 14th St to connect with the L.

An adavatage for both lines would be increased capacity. By running thru trains in Manhattan, it would eliminate the bottle neck off having to turn trains in Manhattan.

#158585  by RedSoxSuck

drewh wrote:Would the 7 train be compatible with the L line??
No.

7 is Div-A (~8.5 feet wide) and L is Div-B (~10 feet wide).

#159218  by 7 Train

IRT and IND/BMT share the same standard gauge track, but the loading gauge and car width/height is different. IRT cars cannot run on IND or BMT routes in revenue service.