Railroad Forums 

• The Red Caboose?

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1250613  by Steamer

I have had this picture since I was a little boy. It is currently hanging on my bedroom wall. It is a print by an deceased artist named Paul Detlefsen. It's called "The Red Caboose" The picture is showing a Union Pacific caboose in red. For one thing I thought UP Cabooses were all yellow? I have always wondered where this is? It is an actual place along a line somewhere out West, or did Paul just make it up in his mind? Anybody have a clue?
 #1255171  by ExCon90

I see nobody has come up with an answer, so I'll throw in a guess. As far as I know, Armour yellow was introduced at the beginning of the streamliner era (No. 10000, 1936?), and wooden cabooses date from well before that. It seems likely that not many wooden cabooses were repainted after the 1930's, since they were on the way out, and if their previous color was red they might have remained that color until scrapped.