Railroad Forums 

• The Raritan Valley Line Thread…

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#338572  by mcmannors

Jtgshu wrote:So the PL42s are gonna be tried out in Raritan — what I wouldn't give to be a fly on those walls when the old-timers sign up Tuesday morning!!!
Whoa, where did that come from?

Actually, last Sunday (12/17), a four-car set including a Comet I cab car, three Comet IBs, and a PL 42 engine ran on the RVL on 2537. That was because the original consist crapped out when it got to Hoboken. The engineer was shitting bricks the first few stops, but then eventually got the hang of it.

#338617  by transit383

Don31 wrote:The middle of winter??? Winter only started three days ago! :wink:
Fair enough. I meant at this time of year.

#338624  by Jtgshu

Mc, you know what I mean, there are a few people (in all terminals) who are VERY resistant to change and haven't worked on anything other than a Geep or F40 since the U34's and E8's were retired!!! Its gonna be interesting!!!

Cool to hear that a C1 made it out there - im sure the engineer had to "dust" off his "old school" breaking points!!!!

Merry Xmas and Happy Holidays to everyone!!!!

#338644  by mcmannors

Jtgshu wrote:Mc, you know what I mean, there are a few people (in all terminals) who are VERY resistant to change and haven't worked on anything other than a Geep or F40 since the U34s and E8s were retired!!! It's gonna be interesting!!!
When I said, "Whoa, where did that come from?", I meant what you said about the PL42s coming to Raritan Tuesday. I was not aware of that. I must have missed that post somewhere. Where did you hear that?

#338742  by Jtgshu

Wanderer mentioned that "*NJTR4024 / 6 Cars / NJTR6040*" was now inservice out on the RVL - tomorrow will be the first "regular" crew sign up with the "normal" weekeday crews and they are going to be very surprised to see that beast out in the yard, or maybe they wil be even more surprised when the equipment changes ends in Newark and they have to get the thing going west!!!!!!

#338788  by mcmannors

Jtgshu wrote:Wanderer mentioned that "*NJTR4024 / 6 Cars / NJTR6040*" was now in service out on the RVL
Where's my "grain of salt"? :-)

#338806  by harryguy082589

Why on the weekend schedule does it list the stations as NWK->NYP->HOB, but the times make it seem as thought it is NWK->HOB->NYP (which i assume it really is)

#338826  by Jtgshu

mcmannors wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:Wanderer mentioned that "*NJTR4024 / 6 Cars / NJTR6040*" was now in service out on the RVL-
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA doh!!!

#338845  by ryanov

harryguy082589 wrote:Why on the weekend schedule does it list the stations as NWK->NYP->HOB, but the times make it seem as thought it is NWK->HOB->NYP (which i assume it really is)
It isn't. Hoboken and NYC are separate trains.

#338851  by Wanderer

mcmannors wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:Wanderer mentioned that "*NJTR4024 / 6 Cars / NJTR6040*" was now in service out on the RVL
Hey McMannors. I know it's tough for you, but WADR please stow the sarcasm. I said that it was in service that day. I assumed it would likely stay through the holiday and just get swapped out at the MMC today.

The set was a mix of Comet Vs and Comet IIMs. The cab was NJTR6040. There were NO Comet I's in that consist. There may have been another set I am unaware of, naturally. However that is the set I logged at CP-Roselle Park. Ask your boy-buddy to talk to xxxxx. He was there also. Keep in mind ××× ××× left about three minutes before it arrived when you ask him to. So he wouldn't know, but xxxxx would.

And at the mention McMannors made of Comet Is...RVL Trivia: can anyone else name the all of the ONLY THREE other times "Hoboken Gear" was in revenue service on the RVL??
  1. 12/12/2006 - 4024 / 6 Cars / NJTR6040
My answers don't count since between them, my dad's logs and my logs contain the complete answers. I know Blockline can fill in at least the first one, since his favorite engine class was leading it.

#338882  by transit383

Wasn't there a time in the 80's when (then governor) Brendan Byrne ordered two sets of U34CHs and Comet Is to be used on the line. I don't know the whole story behind it, perhaps someone here can elaborate?

Also, is that PL42 set going to stick around on the RVL or is it going back over to the dark side that is the Hoboken Division?

#338921  by Jtgshu

A couple of weeks ago, 4104 was it? made it out there to Stavolas on a stone train i believe.

#338933  by mcmannors

Wanderer wrote:
mcmannors wrote:
Hey McMannors. I know it's tough for you, but stow the sarcasm. I said that it was in service that day. I assumed it would likely stay through the holiday and just get swapped out at the MMC today.
Hey, Mister Wanderer: nobody would accuse you of mendacity if your reputation didn't precede you. I'm sure you are familiar with the story of the boy who cried wolf, huh?

#338944  by thebigc

transit383 wrote:Wasn't there a time in the 80's when (then governor) Brendan Byrne ordered two sets of U34CHs and Comet Is to be used on the line. I don't know the whole story behind it, perhaps someone here can elaborate?

Also, is that PL42 set going to stick around on the RVL or is it going back over to the dark side that is the Hoboken Division?
A Comet I/U34CH outfit made a round trip to High Bridge to show the commuters what their new cars would be like. This happened after the Comet II order but before they were delivered so circa late 1981.

#338950  by njt5140

There are some errors on all fronts…I just got off the phone with one of the witnesses. 2537 TWO Sundays ago had the PL42 and four old cars. SATURDAY (IIRC) had the PL42 and mixed set. So two different people here are talking about two completely different sets! But Wobbler, I can see how McMannors did not believe you considering your track record for stories.