Railroad Forums 

• The Railways of Sudan

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1599188  by rogerfarnworth

The latest issue of "The Narrow Gauge", the journal of the Narrow Gauge Society, carried an article by Iain Logie about the trams of Khartoum. The city was served by a narrow gauge steam tram network which was later replaced by Electric tram network.

This prompted some research into the railways of Sudan and first of Khartoum. The national system used trackwork set at a 3ft 6in gauge. There are plans to introduce standard gauge to Sudan, but in the meantime work to refurbish the present network is taking priority.

My first article centres on Khartoum and looks at the national network in the vicinity of the city. .....

The 3ft 6in (1067mm) gauge railways in and around Khartoum. ....

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2022/05/31/ra ... 67mm-gauge
 #1603564  by David Benton

Back in the late 80's , when i was planning African travel , The thomas cook overseas timetable sowed a train to Juba. It appears this line has been cut back to Wau .
A gulf war or 2 mean't I never made it to this part of Africa, visiting north west and West Africa instead.