Railroad Forums 

• The Railway Roundabout

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1399452  by george matthews

The BBC has a number of railway related programme series. It's a bit quiet at the moment. I have no idea how you would access them in the US. As a British subscriber I would hope that you would have to pay to watch them.
 #1400257  by george matthews

I traveled from Llangollen to Blaenau Ffestiniog in the 1950s. I think it was a steam powered train. I remember it as very sparsely filled. I had a 6 seated compartment to myself. The line closed not long after. It passed through nearly empty countryside. Apart from a short preserved line west of Llangollen it is abandoned with no track on it.
 #1400741  by RRspatch

george matthews wrote:The BBC has a number of railway related program series. It's a bit quiet at the moment. I have no idea how you would access them in the US. As a British subscriber I would hope that you would have to pay to watch them.
While the BBC does put out a number of good railway programs, very few of them make it across the pond to the US. The BBC's operation in the US is called BBC America. Through this cable channel American's are feed a steady diet of Dr Who, Top Gear and various nature shows ... and one other show - Star Trek: TNG. The only connection I can see between Star Trek: TNG and England is that one of the actors from the series, Patrick Stewart, was born in the UK and got his start in the UK theater and TV scene. That alone hardly makes ST:TNG a British shows even though on some days it takes up almost half of that days airtime .....

As for directly viewing the BBC from the states, a VPN or "proxie" server will get you there if you don't mind the never ending "wack-a-mole" war between the BBC and various VPN providers.

Google VPN or "proxie server" if you want more information on either one.