Railroad Forums 

• The Railroad Hour

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#122074  by Gilbert B Norman

Reviewing an unrelated article in the Wall Street Journal involving "sins of the Father' the subject the article revolved about is a now prison inmate named Gordon MacRae.

Hmmmm....where have I heard that name before?. Turns out that was the name of the vocal artist featured on the Association of Amnerican Railroads sponsored weekly radio show titled "The Railroad Hour".

Every so often, the syndicated radio show "Those Were the Days" offers selections from this 1940's-50's production. Other than some ad copy, it had little, in fact nothing, to do with the railroad industry.

I once remember as a kid "staying up' to listen to the show. Wonder why I only did so once. But otherwise, anyone else remember the show?

Enjoy (MP-3 required):
http://www.otrcat.com/railroadhour.htm
 #216207  by latonyco

I too remember The Railroad Hour radio broadcasts in the late 1940's with singer Gorodn Macrae as the featured musical artist along with other guest performers. When I first learned of the program, sponsered by the AAR, it was on a poster in the local NYC depot. I was about eight then and quite fascinated by the idea that there would be a radio program about trains and railroad operations, or so I thought. It was disappointing to find out that it was only a program of musical entertainment with commercial spots by AAR. The music and performances were first rate, of course, just not what I had expected or hoped for at that time.
Today, I wish that it were possible to find such quality musical entertainment being regularly broadcast on the radio, or TV, again.
 #217894  by bill haithcoat

Yes, I remember that. I think I saw it advertised in r.r. timetables durng the time frame. Somehow I caught on that it was not about trains.

But, on the subject of "catching on" there is this. I had a little record which had "On the Atchison Topeka and the Santa fe" on one side and I played that constanty. On the other side it was something called "Mule Train". I played that a lot also but somehow it was awhile before I caught on that it was all about mules and not at all about trans. But I enjoyed it anyway. And drove my sister craxy with the constant repetitive playing of each of them.

Back to seeing things in the timetable like the Railroad Hour", I remember there also used to be sort of a railroad credit card. I was too young to get into all that. I think it meant you charged each trip and got a monthly bill. Whether it had to be paid in full, etc I have no idea.

Memories, memories, memories. Aren't they great!!

#220028  by Gilbert B Norman

That was the Rail Travel Card, Mr. Haithcoat. I'll open a discussion topic over at theRail Travel Forum on such.

#220246  by CarterB

I too, remember listening to "The Railroad Hour" along with "The Longines-Wittnauer Hour" and other music/al shows in the late 1940s early 50's (BTV) "before TV"

I seem to remember that at the beginning and end of each show there was a 'plug' for the Association of American Railroads and for rail travel?

I also remember that there were several radio shows broadcast from aboard certain trains. The L&N Pan American or HummingBird comes to mind?