Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1374213  by XC Tower

I know with the new Prime Minister in office many folks (including me) are hoping to see the return of passenger trains to VIA Rail. Hoping to return to visit friends in Cape Breton (made through a chance meeting after riding the Railiners to Sydney back in 1988), I find the Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday frequency rather difficult to plan a stay with, as leaving Friday from Montreal then arriving in Truro to make a bus (Aaaaghhhh!!!) connection on Saturday shoots down both weekend days for such. Has there been any real talk or movement for going back to the six day a week frequency as before October 1992? I can add my desire for a return using the old "Silver Fleet" coaches for the consist, but I am a realist plus others enjoy the Renaissance equipment (mainly the sleepers) I have learned on here.
In any event, I am looking forward to "Going Home" to good old Cape Breton, then some day, hopefully, to Newfoundland......As with all of Canada, I have found, unique wonderful places with their own cultures and people in the provinces that make its lands.
Thank you for any information.

XC Tower
 #1374280  by marquisofmississauga

In a radio interview on the CBC, VIA's CEO Yves Desjardins-Siciliano has said he has no plans to restore the "Ocean" to a six-day-a-week operation. He says he is interested in running local service in the Maritimes to augment the "Ocean. The possible routes are Halifax-Moncton and Campbelton-Moncton. I don't recall if he said how often these services would operate.

I have heard nothing hopeful about the service east of Truro. The end of service on the eastern portion of the CB&CNS is a problem, to say the least.
 #1374294  by NH2060

marquisofmississauga wrote:In a radio interview on the CBC, VIA's CEO Yves Desjardins-Siciliano has said he has no plans to restore the "Ocean" to a six-day-a-week operation. He says he is interested in running local service in the Maritimes to augment the "Ocean. The possible routes are Halifax-Moncton and Campbelton-Moncton. I don't recall if he said how often these services would operate.
I believe the plan is for a morning and evening run on each route; I'm assuming toward Moncton/Halifax in the AM and to Moncton/Campbellton in the PM.
 #1375668  by jp1822

When I recently made a change in my VIA booking there was hope from the reservation agents that the Ocean would return to six days a week. So it appears it depends on who you talk to.