Railroad Forums 

• The Presidential Locomotive.....

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#194073  by jmp883

Politics and EMD vs. GE wars aside....this is NOT the place for those debates.

Now that that's been said, the Air Force One-style paint scheme looks quite classy on a locomotive!

Click here: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=122637

#211230  by N. Todd

Rail Force One... looks nice... but the cab looks ugly.
 #410921  by steamal

Here's my two cents' worth:

In addition to having Air Force One, the President ought to have a train called Railway One (a much easier feat with Amtrak). The lead locomotive of Railway One would be decorated like the locomotive in the picture with one exception: The Great Seal of the United States would appear where the current President's name does. Also, I think having any President's number painted on the cab is a tad egotistical.

#411879  by slchub

You don't think the UP is/was trying to chum up to the big guy do you? They have money to spend on a vivid design such as this, but deny the TE&Y employees valid time claims.

#411894  by Lirr168

slchub wrote:You don't think the UP is/was trying to chum up to the big guy do you? They have money to spend on a vivid design such as this, but deny the TE&Y employees valid time claims.
In all fairness to UP, this was only one of several unique paint schemes applied to their locomotives. I don't really see any ulterior motive behind the locomotive in the context of all of the repaints. Now, whether the repaints in general were an appropriate expenditure is another question, but since I myself do not know much of anything about UP's operating costs, I won't even attempt to comment on that.
 #411937  by Steve F45

steamal wrote:Here's my two cents' worth:

In addition to having Air Force One, the President ought to have a train called Railway One (a much easier feat with Amtrak). The lead locomotive of Railway One would be decorated like the locomotive in the picture with one exception: The Great Seal of the United States would appear where the current President's name does. Also, I think having any President's number painted on the cab is a tad egotistical.
i actually like the idea of having a "railway one" for the president. Have the presidents seal on hte nose though, not on the sides. Just have U.S.A on it.
 #412106  by steamal

2005Vdub wrote:
steamal wrote:Here's my two cents' worth:

i actually like the idea of having a "railway one" for the president. Have the presidents seal on hte nose though, not on the sides. Just have U.S.A on it.
Not to nitpick, but the Great Seal of the United States and the Presidential Seal are two different designs. Put the Great Seal on the nose of the locomotive and the Presidential Seal on each side of the cab, as the President is subordinate to the United States.

#413859  by 56-57

For what it's worth, Dick Cheney was on the Board at UP while also involved with Enron.

This is just for information's sake...