Railroad Forums 

• The Pemberton Township Historic Trust

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#960896  by green_elite_cab

Well, nothing much happened on Friday. I drove over after reading the article about the impound plan, and hung out with Gary and some other guys who showed up, was there from 12 to 5. Tried to get some pics, but its easy to be distracted. Only got a lot of pictures of the under body of the CNJ caboose, and the piping on the 100 tonner, and some generic shots. I'm going to try and get as many pics of the NX23 as i can the next time i go down. It might make an interesting modeling project, and where better to get info on the car than the real thing!

bottom line though, at least its all still there.

Mr. Ed wrote:It would appear that you have the ability to edit for a limited time. I notice that after I post a comment, there is an edit box but it disappears after a period of time.

Later!
Mr. Ed
Yeah, its a pain. You have 24 hours to change your post. This is because spammers will often type legitimate posts, wait a week after the post gets buried some, and change it to Spam. The thinking is people will read back through the thread. Who clicks on spam links, i don't know. but that is the reasoning.

It makes sense from a moderator stand point as well, since i might initially post something legitimate, and then change my post later to something ugly. On a smaller forum, this might not be a problem, but Railroad.net is pretty big and fairly active. Its a lot for a few people to manage.

I personally wish that there could be a post or membership time requirement that would lead to unlimited editing.
 #1005097  by David

So what is happening (or has happened) to this fine museum?- Are the freight cars and engines still there?--Has anything changed?
 #1005136  by green_elite_cab

David wrote:So what is happening (or has happened) to this fine museum?- Are the freight cars and engines still there?--Has anything changed?

I haven't been down that way, and I'm kind od afraid to look. It would be particularly distressing if I saw any of it in pieces or otherwise destroyed. I've been watching the news on the internet, so I havent' seen anything on the stuff being removed yet.

It looks like the game is lost, at least in Pemberton. I sure hope there are contingency plans.
 #1005179  by Mr. Ed

The trust and museum will follow the P&H, UTC and PRR into history. They have been evicted by the mayor who has no idea what history is about and has a desire to see the former president of the trust fail. He doesn't care about the thousands of hours that were put into this facility by the volunteers since 1995. And the town council knuckled under to the pressure brought by the mayor and his puppets. They had the power to put the trust back in there with a new lease but didn't have the guts to do so. It's all about a vendetta against the former president. The museum is being emptied and the rolling stock is in limbo at this time. As far as I know, there is no contigent plan. I spoke with one of the volunteers yesterday who say the bunk house basement has been filled in. And a bundle of ties has been moved forward from the trail, so I presume that the township has has it's heavy front end loader on site. And through all of this, no one other than the mayor had a problem with the trust. No citizen of the township came forward with a complaint about the trust. But many many people did come forward in support of the trust. The mayor was the only one against the trust and would not negotiate a new lease.

It is sad that there is no higher authority to come to the aid of the trust. The county also will not stand up for them and this after they promised to take the trust over in a land swap deal that they decided not to get involved in. This one really hurt since the county is so into preserving history. But when it came time to put their words into actions, they too caved like a house of cards.

So now the last remaining rail yard in New Jersey will also pass into history. Unless Wawa deeds that piece of ground to the trust.

Without a contingency plan (and there might be one, I am just not privy to it) I fear that the rolling stock will be scrapped in place.
 #1012084  by Mr. Ed

First I've heard of it. Sad that it takes so-o-o-o long for a site like that one to open and then it only gives a snipet of the story so you have to open another page of ads before actually seeing the story.

There is a meeting tomorrow night to inform the membership of the goings on.

Later!
Mr. Ed
 #1012739  by Mr. Ed

It turns out the same story ran in my local paper on Monday. There were a few errors in there when they say the trust and the mayor (the council has nothing to say due to the form of governmebt selected way back when) had reached an agreement. He presented his offer and the trust held a meeting last night to present his proposal to the general membership. The final items still need to be ironed out.

Later!
Mr. Ed
 #1202117  by pumpers

I might be in Pemberton this weekend. How did this pissing match ever turn out? Anything to see still in Pemberton? I think I saw something in the papers that the mayor won and RR museum lost, but really don't remember. JS
 #1203026  by pumpers

I was in Pemberton this morning. The station looks gorgeous, but it is completely empty - the museum is closed and everything inside s gone. There are still about a dozen pieces of rolling stock there, mostly in rough condition, surrounded by orange construction fencing, which looks fairly new. Sort of looks like the stuff is quarantined or off limits from the fencing THere were also piles of rails and ties - don't know if they were pulled recently or if this was old news. The whole area and rail trail had "closed" and "Keep out" signs signed by the town. The people we were staying with said lot of people were upset that the museum is gone - it was a local draw.. JS
 #1203055  by David

pumpers wrote:I was in Pemberton this morning. The station looks gorgeous, but it is completely empty - the museum is closed and everything inside s gone. There are still about a dozen pieces of rolling stock there, mostly in rough condition, surrounded by orange construction fencing, which looks fairly new. Sort of looks like the stuff is quarantined or off limits from the fencing THere were also piles of rails and ties - don't know if they were pulled recently or if this was old news. The whole area and rail trail had "closed" and "Keep out" signs signed by the town. The people we were staying with said lot of people were upset that the museum is gone - it was a local draw.. JS

Were the two diesel engines there?
 #1203060  by pumpers

David wrote:Were the two diesel engines there?
Not sure, but I think there were 2 small critters - one with fairly good paint IIRC and the smaller(?) of the two very rough. JS
 #1203386  by pumpers

Found this online with Google:
http://www.phillyburbs.com/my_town/pemb ... ea057.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Bids are in for Pemberton Township trains"
Posted: Thursday, June 20, 2013 5:00 am | Updated: 7:33 am, Thu Jun 20, 2013.
By Steven Hart Staff Writer
PEMBERTON TOWNSHIP — Bids totaling more than $46,000 have been submitted for the locomotives, rail cars and equipment at the North Pemberton Historic Railroad Station.
It says a lot of the rolling stock, including the 2 engines (originally from Roebling Steel Mill in Florence), will be scrapped.
Sad, JS
I hope the fight between the local politicians and the Catskill Mountain RR (there is a long thread in the NY State forum) turns out better.