Railroad Forums 

• The Pascack Valley Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1495606  by kilroy

NJ.com had an article regarding the use of a cab car in front of the locomotive.
“It has allowed us to operate trains that would not have been able to operate without those cab cars,” said Jim Smith, an NJ Transit spokesman.
That would indicate that they have all the trackside equipment on-line and in actual use. I find that hard to believe.

https://www.nj.com/traffic/2019/01/is-t ... -says.html
 #1500868  by airman00

So in regards to that cab-car in front of the locomotive, on the PVL I’ve only seen it on trains going TO Hoboken, but never on trains coming FROM Hoboken. Is their a reason for this?
 #1500997  by EuroStar

If you mean that the engine and the cab car in front of it are always on the end pointing towards Spring Valley, that is consistent with the standard practice the engines being always away from the terminal in Hoboken.

Now if you mean that you have never seen a train going to Spring Valley with the cab car leading and the engine behind it, that simply means that you have been unlucky enough that the only sets coming from Hoboken you have seen have been with engines that have had the PTC installed. I can assure you that these train sets do not get assembled and disassembled at the ends so that the cab is on the set in only one direction. You simply have not been lucky enough to see one during the times you observe the line.
 #1505734  by Dcell

How does the reconstruction of Emerson’s business district and road realignment impact Emerson station? Too bad mayor hagg fought against the new Emerdell proposed station.
 #1506372  by nyborderman

I don't know if anyone has noticed what looks like a multi story garage building going up for the transit oriented housing on Kinderkamack Rd in Park Ridge next to the PV tracks. I can't help but wonder if there is movement to build passing tracks at CP's park & golf?
 #1506397  by airman00

I have seen that yes. And it would be great if they built those passing sidings! The more tracks on the pvl the better! Except njt has no money right now...
 #1506695  by SecaucusJunction

The towns don’t want it. They’re afraid the mile long freight trains will come through if that happens.

And yes, there’s no money for it.
 #1506714  by njtmnrrbuff

The siding in Oradell won't be built at least anytime soon. NJT has other priorities to attend to, including the PTC and crew shortage issues. Plus Gateway needs to be built sooner rather than later. Sadly, many of the towns along the PVL are against the siding and just want to use the excuse-fear of long freight trains. The PVL isn't the River Sub.
 #1506754  by EuroStar

While I do not expect movement on the Oradell siding any time soon, it will be very interesting to see how things shake out eventually with the upcoming congestion pricing in Manhattan as that might provide some incentive for improvements. At this point it is unclear how much of a disincentive to drive the congestion fee will be, but it is almost certain that the overall effect would be to increase transit use for getting into Manhattan. I have no idea whether the congestion on the George Washington Bridge will increase or decrease. It could decrease as people try to use the tunnels in order to avoid paying the full congestion fee for going into Manhattan's CBD, but it could also increase due to traffic from/to Long Island trying to avoid paying the congestion fee for crossing Manhattan.

Additionally Bergen County appears to be slowly growing in terms of residents and that only increases the traffic. Practically all new construction is 3-4 story multifamily apartments on brownfield sites bringing even more cars to the streets. The suburban offices in the county are also slowly disappearing with many big employers moving either to the South, closer to or into Manhattan. All of these will eventually force the construction of the siding, even maybe one or two more, but it is a slow process that will likely take a couple of decades or so.
 #1508595  by R36 Combine Coach

njt/mnrrbuff wrote: Sadly, many of the towns along the PVL are against the siding and just want to use the excuse-fear of long freight trains. The PVL isn't the River Sub.
I don't believe the line was used by Erie for through freight from Croxton, even when it ran through to the Erie Main Line in Suffern (unless the Main Line was blocked or detoured). Although a train coming from points west could been diverted via Spring Valley and head south and rejoin the Main Line at Pascack Jct.
 #1508640  by ExCon90

That's bound to be true. The Bergen County line was double-tracked with automatic block signals--absolutely no reason to use the NJ&NY except for unavoidable detours. But try explaining that to the locals who have visions of fleets of oil trains diverted from CSX ...
 #1508643  by R36 Combine Coach

ExCon90 wrote:But try explaining that to the locals who have visions of fleets of oil trains diverted from CSX ...
Isn't there no more active freight north of Emerson?
 #1508819  by ExCon90

I dug out an Erie ett from 1952, in which S class locomotives are restricted from the N. J. & N. Y. R. R. and the Piermont Branch, so no detouring with Berkshires. It's probably safe to say that they never detoured through freights over the PVL.