Railroad Forums 

• The Pascack Valley Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1314446  by nick11a

waldwickrailfan wrote:Perhaps it was a crew training trip?
That very well could be. Freight crews often are trained a bit further than they need to be on NJT just in case, especially on single track lines with only passing sidings.
 #1317677  by airman00

Interesting move I just saw. At around 12 noon, going thru Emerson heading towards Hoboken...(cab car leading)...5 or so cars + Metro-North 4906 (geep?) and right behind 4906 was 1 additional coach. So maybe an equipment move, or an express with a bad coach tacked on bound for the MMC?
 #1318606  by airman00

Major problems at all the crossings in westwood and hillsdale! There all malfunctioning and staying down. Cops everywhere. What happened?
 #1318693  by srock1028

airman00 wrote:Major problems at all the crossings in westwood and hillsdale! There all malfunctioning and staying down. Cops everywhere. What happened?
Salt and Sand in the crossings causes havoc with the electronics that activate said gates.
 #1324592  by airman00

Oh wow that's great news! Perhaps that solo engine parked in their siding a few weeks back was more than a crew training trip. Maybe it was to familiarize the crews on switching an old customer coming back on-line. I would've loved to have seen the switching move. Anyone know when it took place? If I recall correctly that is the first kuiken brothers move since that siding was reconfigured several years ago, as part of NJT's bi-directional service upgrades on the PVL.

Now it's time we get some freight going thru Westwood! Hasn't been a freight train thru Westwood in over 20 years!
 #1324992  by Hawaiitiki

airman00 wrote:
Now it's time we get some freight going thru Westwood! Hasn't been a freight train thru Westwood in over 20 years!
Not that anything was being delivered North of Westwood but about 5-6 years ago, I saw a 3-4 car freight train going North(West) through Hillsdale. However, it was just going to the Nanuet passing siding to run around the train.
 #1325022  by mainetrain

Crossing over the tracks I Saw NS in the distance down the line 4/07 towards Oradell, and the Kuiken cars were not where they were the day before.
 #1325061  by airman00

They must have unloaded the cars relatively quickly and called to have empties taken away. Wonder if this was a test run for an eventual return to regular service?
 #1325518  by airman00

Saw what appeared to be two lumber cars @ kuiken brothers tonight when I happened to drive past. Only the cars were on the part of the siding that parallels the main and not actually in the kuiken brothers yard. Don't know how they unload them there? There is a track going into the yard.
 #1325545  by Steve F45

Their were emtpy centerbeams on the one siding yesterday afternoon. Looked to be the same one that was loaded earlier in the week. Not sure if anything was actually on the track that goes into the kuiken property.
 #1328113  by airman00

Passed by kuiken brothers today around 1:30 in my work travels. The lumber cars were gone. However on the track IN the kuiken brothers yard was a single box car. An old Southern Pacific box car. Very interesting... First the lumber cars and now a box car? Talk about a return to service!
 #1328385  by airman00

That old Southern Pacific boxcar is still in kuiken brothers yard. I got a better look at it today. It's cool to see a box car in there. And even better to see freight this far north on the PVL!! I would love to see the kuiken brothers switching move, when might they get serviced? One other question I have is, I believe that kuiken bros. is the last intact freight siding on the PVL until you get into NYS. How many intact freight sidings are left in NYS, where we could possibly see freight go north thru westwood someday in the future, or is all hope of any far northbound freight gone forever?