Railroad Forums 

• The NYC West Shore Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1403472  by Memster1

charlie6017 wrote:For those unaware, there's what I'm guessing was a storage area/warehouse for the West Shore
still standing in Elba on Ford Rd., just off 262 on the east side of Rte. 98. It looks horrible and I would
assume it won't be standing a lot longer. Also there's a smoke stack still in place next to it.

Charlie

Here is a link to some discussion on the history of the building -> http://nyfalls.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=4455
 #1403488  by Fireman43

Charlie,

That pic is all that remains of a fire that burned a whole warehouse complex I believe maybe 25 years ago. One of those fires that is no stopping once it gets going. Rereading the thread, I see was mentioned this stretch was abandoned early 60's so my recollections of an active line would go way back to before that date, riding in the back seat of my parents car !

Same recollections I have of the WS ROW through Canajoharie on the thruway in the 50's . Strange recollections as a kid one has while peering out the back window. If memory is right, (in addition to the Beechnut Sign) as you are head west over the ROW I could look way down the tracks, alwasy looking for a headlight.
Mark
 #1403603  by lvrr325

They actually tore down a couple of newer additions on the Beech-Nut plant and exposed some vintage lettering painted on there that must date to the 1950s or older. On the east side.

Someone in a Facebook WNY Rails group posted a photo of a NYC train at Clarence Center, RS3 leading various freight cars.