Railroad Forums 

• The new NYW&B book: when is it coming out?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#75668  by Otto Vondrak

The books are at the bindery in Michigan now. We expect them delivered soon. I have no firm date at this time, but as soon as I do, I'll announce it in huge letters. Feel free to visit www.nywbry.com for more information on how to order your copy.

-otto
(Designer and Production Manager)
 #77448  by henry6

...a pic in the Jan TRAINS, too. Cars remind me of a kitbash of either LI or PRR Owl Eyes with Erie Stillwells!

#77474  by Otto Vondrak

The MU's used on the NYW&B were indeed designed by Stillwell, and manufactured by Pressed Steel Car Co. of Pittsburgh, Pa. After the NYW&B shut down in 1937, part of the fleet went back to parent New Haven, where they were rebuilt in the Readville Shops for use as commuter coaches. Center doors, pans, and traction motors were removed.

-otto-
 #79375  by oakpoint

Hey Otto,

Did I see you in the mall today looking at the BIG Westchester car at the display after I made a delivery on E. Post Rd.

Just kidding.

Charles D :wink:

#79730  by Otto Vondrak

Heheh- no, not today. Who built that Stillwell, it's a great model! At least the developers of the mall had a little sense of history, eh? It's like a little shrine to the Westchester.

-otto-
 #79851  by oakpoint

I have no idea otto but I sure would like to get my grubby little paws on it. It's a beautiful model!
I understand when the mall first opened the NYW&B exhibit was a bit more involved but was cut back for some reason, maybe space.

Best Regards on this holiday season.

Charles D :-)
 #80166  by oakpoint

I recieved my book today Otto and to say the least I am very impressed with the work and effort you and Robert Bang have made to put out such a BEAUTIFUL BOOK !

My Best to you Otto And Robert B.

Thanks, Charles D

PS I posted a message on NHRHTA.

:-)
 #80814  by fordhamroad

Otto -

Just got my copy of Robert Bang's new NYW&B book Dec. 24. It is an impressive job, and you and Robert and Dan Gallo are to be congratulated on a successful collaboration. The historical introduction is informative, as are the many reprints of contemporary newspaper articles from the local Westchester county newspapers. As in his previous book, Robert has used a lot of the John Tolley collection of construction and demolition photos, but many more. There are also useful chapters on the stations and the people who worked for the railroad., and some new shots of the rolling stock and towers. You pay tribute in the book to Roger Arcara, but the best tribute is to extend and further his work by incorporating new material on the W&B itself.
Finally, the layout, maps, restored pictures make the book very effective. I will have to give the details a closer reading, but I keep discovering new items here and there as I go.
As a reader and railfan of the NYW&B, thanks for the effort all of you have expended on realizing this project.
Roger
 #80855  by oakpoint

I LOVE THE BOOK ! :-)

#85087  by Otto Vondrak

After many delays in shipment due to an inept printing company and uncooperative Midwestern and Northeastern weather, the books have finally arrived in Port Chester (a fitting place for NYW&B books to arrive). They will soon be distributed to all dealers, and your orders will be fulfilled soon. Thanks for your patience and support!

http://www.nywbry.com