Railroad Forums 

• The New Haven streamlined train "The Comet"

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#160835  by NRGeep

Saw a photo of "The Comet" in Back Bay station the other day. Looked like it might have been some kind of Zephre type of unit? Never heard of it. Did the New Haven or B&A run it and was it similar to the Flying Yankee in design?

#160852  by TomNelligan

Yep, it was a pioneering high speed lightweight train that the New Haven Railroad ran between Boston and Providence starting in 1935, although not really a twin of the B&M's Flying Yankee. You can find a whole lot more info at this link:
http://www.nhrhta.org/htdocs/images1001.htm

#160965  by NRGeep

Thanks, great website!
 #162844  by highrail

While at Barnes and Noble in Hingham the other day I stumbled across a couple photos of the Comet taken down the cape at Wellfleet and Provincetown in 1935, while the train was on a publicity tour. The book was one of those small picture history books published by Arcadia Publishing that have become quite popular. This one was titled, "Railroads of Cape Cod and the Islands". I was not familiar with this train before seeing the previous post.

#163097  by SnoozerZ49

It is my understanding that "The Comet" was double ended, that is it had controls on each end of the train and it was designed for service between Providence and Boston. Finally I have heard that it spent some of its last years in service on the Old Colony lines.

#166760  by highgreen1

Interestingly, the Comet was built by Goodyear-Zeppelin, a joint effort between the rubber company and the German aircraft maker. Used to see it "flying" through Readville while waiting with my dad for 1400 Shoreliners.