• The New Haven Railroad Today

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by CVRA7

Our old New Haven Railroad (NH) disappeared as an operating entity at 11:59pm on December 31, 1968. As many of you know, the Penn Central took over operations at that time and soon the service and operation changes began. But the former New Haven Railroad did not turn to dust and disappear - instead it lived on under many different operating names, and much of the old New Haven Railroad still is in existance today. And the spirit of the New Haven Railroad lives on through those who preserve its history, whether in memories, paper, equipment, structures, or models.
As this sort of subject is welcome here at railroad.net, I have attempted to put together a list of the various operations over former NH that exist as of January 2010. I came up with 23!

Major Passenger Carriers:
Amtrak
Metro-North
MBTA
CDOT (Shore Line East)

Major Freight Carriers:
CSX
Norfork Southern

Regional and Short Line Freight Railroads:
New York & Atlantic
Housatonic
Naugatuck
Providence & Worcester
Pan Am Southern (Springfield Terminal)
Pan Am Railways (Springfield Terminal)
Pioneer Valley
Connecticut Southern
Central New England
Bay Colony
Massachusetts Coastal
New England Central (at Willimantic)

Various Heritage & Recreational Passenger Operations:
Berkshire Scenic
Danbury Railway Museum
Valley Railroad (a/k/a Essex Steam Train & Riverboat)
Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum
Old Colony & Newport
Newport Dinner Train
Cape Cod Central

Some of the above operations share trackage or have common ownership, but are separate entities.
Any additions or corrections?

~Bill Sample
Last edited by CVRA7 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by Ridgefielder

-Shore Line East/CDOT under Passenger
-Would the Branford Electric Railway qualify by virtue of the Connecticut Company having been a NYNH&H subsidiary? Or the Connecticut Trolley Museum in Warehouse Point?
  by CVRA7

Thanks for the quick response, Ridgefielder! Shame on me for not including Shore Line East! That should be included.

Branford (a/k/a Shore Line Trolley Museum) was ex Conn. Co. as you mentioned, maybe part-credit on this. As for the Conecticut Electric Railway (a/k/a Connecticut Trolley Museum), that is on former Hartford & Springfield property - I'm not sure if that was owned by the New Haven.
  by Noel Weaver

Although no longer carrying freight trains I think "honorable mention" ought to go to the Walkway over the Hudson, the
Poughkeepsie Bridge which will be attracting visitors for a long time to come, I hope.
Noel Weaver
  by CannaScrews

What about Quincy Bay Terminal?
Seaview in Rhode Island?

In the Maybrook NY area, probably the Suzie-Q ????

Question- did the South Manchester survive to Penn Central - if so how about including it.
  by CannaScrews

Also, there has been over 40 years of FORMER RRs operating within the former New Haven trackage.

Penn Central
CONRAIL
MTA
Boston & Maine
Connecticut Central

Chuck & Eddies

Gotta go - the kimchee jigae is boiling over....
  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

I believe the South Manchester was intact right up until a year or so before CSOR took over could be wrong on this. I do know the first couple hundred feet were though.
  by CVRA7

[quote="CannaScrews"]What about Quincy Bay Terminal?
Seaview in Rhode Island?

In the Maybrook NY area, probably the Suzie-Q ????

Question- did the South Manchester survive to Penn Central - if so how about including it.[/quote]

Answers to the best of my knowledge-additional input/correction welcomed:

QBT - most of it was the former Fore River RR, an independently operated short line. For a time - and maybe through the present - the QBT ran over a short distance of the ex-NH Greenbush line to interchange with CR/CSX. This may have changed with the reopening of the Greenbush as a passenger line.

Seaview - may have been a wee bit of overlap, but I believe the Seaview was ex- U S Navy trackage, independently operated by the USN until the base was downsized - then the Seaview was established to take it over.

Maybrook area - I seem to remember that the NYSW did use the Maybrook trackage to reach Campbell Hall and the ex Erie route. Think they ran via the former Lehigh & Hudson River in and out of Maybrook. Eventually a better connection to the Erie route was built somewhere west of Campbell Hall, and the L&HR route into Maybrook was abandoned and later lifted.

South Manchester - the SM was taken over by the New Haven - think in the early 30s. The route did last into Penn Central, but if it was run by Conrail it wasn't for too long. The track sat for awhile and eventually was lifted, with the northernmost trackage lasting a bit longer as Mr Highland Rail said.

Although my original thread dealt with year 2010 operations over the former New Haven, Mr. Screws opens up another subject of interest concerning some "fallen flag" operations between 1968 and now.

I edited my original list, adding the New England Central, which picked up a wee bit of the Willimantic-Hartford line to access a freight customer just north/west of the Conn. Eastern RR Museum at Columbia Jct in Willimantic.
  by ATK

Chuck & Eddies was a railroad??? I thought it was a depository for slightly used railroad equipment.... :wink:
  by CannaScrews

Chuck & Eddies operated a gravity railroad [unchartered I'm sure] for a year or so in North Haven, CT
  by Tim Lesniak

CVRA7 wrote:Thanks for the quick response, Ridgefielder! Shame on me for not including Shore Line East! That should be included.

Branford (a/k/a Shore Line Trolley Museum) was ex Conn. Co. as you mentioned, maybe part-credit on this. As for the Conecticut Electric Railway (a/k/a Connecticut Trolley Museum), that is on former Hartford & Springfield property - I'm not sure if that was owned by the New Haven.
The Connecticut Electric Railway owns the former Rockville Branch of the Hartford & Springfield Street Railway. While the Rockville Branch connected to the Connecticut Company at Rockville, CT, the branch was never owned by the NYNH&H or any of its subsidies. The line was owned by the East Windsor Street Railway until 1906 and then the Hartford & Springfield until 1926. From 1926 to 1940, it was owned by various property companies and then by the CERA from 1940 until today. The Hartford & Springfield was never owned by the NYNH&H.
  by CVRA7

Thanks, Tim, for confirming that the H&S was never owned by the New Haven.
A side note concerning the Connecticut Electric Ry Assn - 2010 will see the group's 70th anniversary. They have owned their stretch of the H&S Rockville Branch far longer than the H&S ever did! Preservation efforts have lengthy - and interesting - histories of their own!
  by Tim Lesniak

Although the H&S was not ever owned by the New Haven, it linked the New Haven subsidies. It met with the Connecticut Company in Rockville, CT (at the end of the Warehouse Point Branch line) and Hartford, CT. On the other end, it met the Springfield Street Railway in Springfield, MA, also owned by the New Haven. Although we do not have any New Haven trackage, we do have New Haven cars at Warehouse Point - Connecticut Company 65, 154, 0206, 355, 771, 840, 1326, 1550, 1739, 2022, 2023, & 3001; and Springfield Street Railway 575.

On another note, yes, it is CER's 70th Anniversary this year! We will be having many events planned throughout the year including the unveiling of a new exhibit: The History and Evolution of the Electric Trolley and its Impact on Society. Anyone wishing for more information, visit Connecticut Trolley Museum's website or PM me.
  by Gilbert B Norman

This past Saturday, I drove from Greenwich to Poughkeepsie to "do the walk".

The first thing I must note is negative - where's the signage to direct one not familiar to the bridge?

I entered Poughkeepsie using NY 55 from the Taconic Pkwy. - a major route and no signage. The only way I found the bridge was that, like anyone else participating here, knew what to look for. Finally, after a share of meandering, I found a parking area marked "Walk over the Hudson overflow parking'. From there I was certain I could find the start of the trail.

I was quite impressed with the concrete walkway (which incidentially is quite visible on a Southward approach to KHPN. What I wished was not necessary were the barriers obstructing a view and photography of the Hudson Division. Also, I could not help but note the "Mental Health Signals" or otherwise, if you are about to "off" yourself, punch this button first.

But the 2.5 mile round trip walk is pleasant. I could only think of members such as Mr. Weaver who have operated trains over this bridge (also, Cuku, a friendly Labrador whose guardian is a Vassar professor, could not get enough love and kisses from me).

Viewing West Shore "action" is unimpeded by any barriers; it appeared that a cadre of fans were set up to "shoot" it all.
There is an "alms box" mid-River that I hope at which any making the walk will choose to leave a "tithing". There is no set admission fee at this time.

Otherwise, other than a quick drive by of the Poughkeepsie station that is now being renovated, it was back to Greenwich Hyatt - and that was that.
  by xtcbct

I know this is an old thread. But I wanted to provide a little info about the S. Manchester branch. Officially opened in 1869, It was abandoned in 1986. It's tracks torn up not too long after. Conrail would have operated the line for a few years. For a while, the rails were still in the RR xing at Hilliard St. They've since been removed in the last 5 years. However, switch timbers still remain in the small Manchester yard across from the old station platform.