Railroad Forums 

• The new DMU....what do you thik?

• Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.
Discussion about RDC's, "doodlebugs," gas-electrics, etc.

#18410  by railfanofewu

I would like to see a couple tested by Sound Transit up here, to be used as shuttles on some underused frieght lines, such as the Tacoma Rail Mountain Division, BNSF Prairie Line, and the Eastside Line, as well as part of the Stevens Pass Line and Stamped Pass Line.

#28951  by matthewsaggie

As a member of the Metropolitan Transit Commission for Charlotte, NC we are looking very seriously at the Colorado DMU for our north corridor from Charlotte to Mooresville NC. Still in process of purchasing the track from NS (its the old "O" line) and that will take another year I'm sure, and then a year or two for track rebuilding.

We have our ground breaking our south corridor (light rail) in the next few months and the City kicks off its historic trolley service this week. This will share the first 4 miles of the south corridor. This track was aso purchased from NS.
For picture go to www.charmeck.org

#29466  by mxdata

Gosh, I was really looking forward to an MBTA version with the stainless steel screens over the windshield for protection from rocks, bricks, and falling bodies. I wonder if they have tested this to see how it does in a high speed impact with a toilet or bathtub somebody has dumped in the middle of the tracks? :wink:

#29546  by railfanofewu

I have an idea for states that are going to have major areas of the states left high and dry by the abandonment of Greyhound service in about a month. Procure a few, and paint them in Greyhound colors. Even name the DMU the Greyhound.

#31032  by SnoozerZ49

Although I agree that the DMU looks rather ugly ( kind of like a prop from an Austin Powers movie!) I wish them luck because we need some sort of self propelled car that can be used at a lower cost to help nurture, restore and build up commuter rail operations. I work on a system that hauls four to eight car trains around all day and night regardless of the passenger loads. They just won't break the train sets up. I think DMU's and a coach or two would take pressure off of equipment during off peak periods to increase the maintenance window for higher capacity train sets.

Just a thought

#31077  by DutchRailnut

except that now you got an off peak train that is useless during peak hours cause its short and underpowered.

#31856  by nightowl

When I first read about these cars I was excited, until I saw a picture. I couldn't understand how Colorado Rail Car could make, then market something so ugly. While I have huge problems with the clip art paint scheme, I try to ignore that since its just a prototype. Company paint jobs are never that good anyway. The fundamental problem is the proportions: the huge curving windows, oversized doors and the short stump of a window on the front. I expect something built from scrap parts to look like this. But even then it could turn out better.

I hope whatever agency first to buy this abomination has the resources and interest to have the body redesigned or at least the nose. Where is an ALCO designer when you need one? This DMU and the other coaches Colorado Rail Car makes reminds me of what happens when engineers alone are working on a project. The numbers look great, but aesthetic leave a lot to to be desired. Similar most recently to Space Ship One. If only the DMU was forced to be aerodynamic.
 #31926  by Komachi

Yes, I must agree, the Colorado DMU is rather... "asthetically challenged" shall we say. Hopefully regular production vehicles will be better looking.

I rode on a couple DMU cars while I was in Japan. They were quite pleasent to ride on, actually. Compared to the well-(ab)used EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) cars used on the Meitetsu line (which operates around Nagoya), where the traction motors and transmissions could outscream a banshe, the diesel engines were quiet and relatively un-noticeable (even in the summer with the car's windows open!).

Here are some links to some pics of some Japanese DMU trainsets

... from the JNR (Japan National Railways - disolved into smaller rail corporations in 1987) era.

http://ts.sakura.ne.jp/~rokko1go/page_e ... nrdc02.htm

... from the JR (Japan Railways - post 1987) era.

http://ts.sakura.ne.jp/~rokko1go/page_e ... nrdc03.htm

(NOTE: on the 201 series cars, there is a reference to the "Sappo" (a mispelling of Sapporo, the capitol city of Hokkaido Prefecture) and "Otaru" side of the cars, this is in reference to the orientation of the car to the terminal cities served by the DMU sets. (So, for example, if the author of the site were discussing the proposed commuter line between the Twin Cities and St. Cloud, MN, they would make refference to the "Minneapolis" (or "St. Paul") end of the car and the "St. Cloud" end.)

... and some Limited Express trainsets

http://ts.sakura.ne.jp/~rokko1go/page_e ... nrdc04.htm

(NOTE: the term "green car" referrs to first class accomodations.)

Granted, they aren't the best looking DMU sets out there, but I think they're much better than the Colorado Railcar sets.

#33514  by railfanofewu

SnoozerZ49 wrote:Although I agree that the DMU looks rather ugly ( kind of like a prop from an Austin Powers movie!) I wish them luck because we need some sort of self propelled car that can be used at a lower cost to help nurture, restore and build up commuter rail operations. I work on a system that hauls four to eight car trains around all day and night regardless of the passenger loads. They just won't break the train sets up. I think DMU's and a coach or two would take pressure off of equipment during off peak periods to increase the maintenance window for higher capacity train sets.

Just a thought
Sounds like a great application for this DMU. I like how it can pull unpowered coaches. Imagine, commuter trains used for traffic mittigation while a Freeway Improvement Project is going on. The train would be able to run efficiently. Same thing for service on routes where Light Ridership would be expected.

#200362  by dmk092

Actually, the ARR has been having problems with their RDCs. Their not that reliable, especially when the weather starts to get colder.

I live in South FL, and saw the demonstrator on a test run. Tri Rail (the regional service) could really use them. Using an f40 rebuild to haul three bombardier cars isn't exactly economical, especially with rising fuel costs.

Im not sure whether or not ARR is looking to by those DMUs. I'ld say at the very least their considering it, if for no other reason then they've bought every other piece of equipment to come out of Colorado's assembly halls.

#200428  by railfanofewu

dmk092 wrote: Im not sure whether or not ARR is looking to by those DMUs. I'ld say at the very least their considering it, if for no other reason then they've bought every other piece of equipment to come out of Colorado's assembly halls.
THey tested the demonstrator up in Alaska, even the shutdown test on the steepest grade they had. It passed. Cost could probably be a factor in preventing any purchase, but then as you said, being a loyal customer for CRC, plus the fact that CRC Ultradomes are almost synonamous with Alaska, would probably bring down the price a little bit.

Supposedly Portland TriMet has made their decision, to purchase CRC cars for the Washingtong County Commuter Rail line. Cannot find much on the Net about it, though.

#204174  by wigwagfan

railfanofewu wrote:Supposedly Portland TriMet has made their decision, to purchase CRC cars for the Washingtong County Commuter Rail line. Cannot find much on the Net about it, though.
It was reported by local media that TriMet signed with Colorado Railcar for five cars.

However - TriMet was originally planning on joining another transit agency in a joint purchase; that other participant decided AGAINST Colorado Railcar, and in fact a number of other agencies have gone to European suppliers or decided on non-compliant vehicles.

That means that aside from the demonstrator units currently on TriRail, TriMet would be the first, and so far only, order. There is speculation that the TriMet cars would not have the "Aero" nose.

#204299  by railfanofewu

wigwagfan wrote:
That means that aside from the demonstrator units currently on TriRail, TriMet would be the first, and so far only, order. There is speculation that the TriMet cars would not have the "Aero" nose.
I wished Sound Transit would get a few for the Everett Line, it is relatively low-Grade, problem is Great Northern picked a great route to enter Seattle, but there is a tradeoff, especiallly after 20 straight days of rain, and property owneres build too close to the edge of the hill, and cut down trees for a good view. The rain saturates the hill, and mudslides happen. Too costly to do another line relocation away from the hill.

FRA COmpliance can be a good thing, especially if the BNSF Eastside Line becomes both Freight and Commuter line. It could allow some frieght trains coming off of Stevens Pass to bypass Seattle. Commuter Rail on that line would never go above 2 car trains for awhile.

#243793  by kitsune

wigwagfan wrote:
railfanofewu wrote:That means that aside from the demonstrator units currently on TriRail, TriMet would be the first, and so far only, order. There is speculation that the TriMet cars would not have the "Aero" nose.
There was only one demonstrator unit on TriRail, and it went back to CRC for reconfiguring in 2005. It was since destroyed. The cars TriRail is using are new, purpose built, production units.

#243808  by railfanofewu

I hope that they get more orders, we need anything that can save fuel on the rails.