Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#83343  by Robert Paniagua

Actually they may have been right in doing that, since that section you took the pictures in was underground and AFAIC ther's a new rule that forbids passengers from photoshooting and filming underground, but they shoudn't turn you in if it's EL or open air surface portions.
 #83355  by AmeriKenArtist

Guess I got lucky! We were in at least eleven subway stations and I did not see one sign forbidding the use of cameras. If that is a new rule, or law, signs must be displayed. That is the requirement in other situations of control through signage. I was in charge of internal and external signage on a large hospital campus for 12 years. If we didn't have the correct signage, displayed in accordance with mandates, we could not enforce the law.

#84246  by RailBus63

I'm not aware of any rule that is currently in effect which prohibits photography in the subways. However, I believe NYCT employees are required to report any such instances, and there is a fair amount of ignorance among employees about the the current rules which technically do allow photography.

JD

#84282  by chuchubob

Robert Paniagua wrote:Actually they may have been right in doing that, since that section you took the pictures in was underground and AFAIC ther's a new rule that forbids passengers from photoshooting and filming underground, but they shoudn't turn you in if it's EL or open air surface portions.
There is no such rule.

There is a proposed rule, still in the stage of public comment (for a couple more days).

http://www.transitspot.com/gallery/Bobs ... 4_12_27_06

R32 (Budd, 1964) E train at Sutphin Blvd, Jamaica, Queens; December 27, 2004

#84697  by BenH

Here's the link to an article, about the proposed photography ban, that appeared in today's New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/07/nyreg ... oref=login
(free registration required)
The New York Times, Jan 7, 2004 - Metro Section, Page 1

Those that feel inspired should write a letter to the Editor -- against the ban.
The address for letters to the editor (of the NYT's) is: [email protected]