Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#501302  by Spokker

I would like to ride Metrolink in a triangle on three separate lines, you know, just for kicks, to relax, listen to music through my headphones, and see a little scenery I'm not able to driving all over the damn place.

My plan is to travel from Santa Ana station to San Bernardino Station on the Inland Empire-Orange County Line. Then from San Bernardino to Los Angeles on the San Bernardino Line. Then from Los Angeles back to Santa Ana on the Orange County Line.

Unfortunately buying one-way tickets for each segment gets pretty pricey, especially for someone who isn't really going anywhere for any reason whatsoever. So could I purchase a ticket from Santa Ana Station to Los Angeles Union Station and essentially take the "scenic route", or will the conductor give me a citation for it?

Pro-argument: As long as I am able to complete my travel within three hours (what's a couple of minutes here or there, eh?) does it matter which route I take? It's not like these trains are packed anyway, especially during the times I'd be traveling.

Con-argument: I'd basically be bilking them out of a bunch of money.

Does anyone have any insight into this situation? Has anyone taken this kind of trip before? Any help would be appreciated.

#503605  by farmerjohn

Really depends on who's checking tickets. The conductors can be pretty cool.
Know a few of them and their pretty laid back guys. They do often have sheriff department personnel meter maid type guys
I guess you would call them? sometimes check tickets.
Ive done similar to what you have done.
You cant take the scenic route when you got a ticket for the junk yard route.
Tried it and all he told me was "The rules are the rules" thank god I asked before getting on his train.:-D
You do:
OC TO LA then LA TO SB To IE/OC. =$28.00 and you do a triangle!.
$28 isn't bad considering you do your triangle and versus the cost of driving which is $72.56. Plus you gotta truly think about it. When you don't buy a ticket and ride thats taking money out of the Engineers pocket and the Conductors pocket and the cost of making that railroad run the way it runs.
You would get your triangle.

#505153  by Spokker

farmerjohn wrote:When you don't buy a ticket and ride thats taking money out of the Engineers pocket and the Conductors pocket and the cost of making that railroad run the way it runs.
I had no intention of evading the fare, which is why I asked this question.

I wish Metrolink had a monthly unlimited weekend pass that would let you go anywhere Metrolink goes on weekends. It would get a lot of people on those empty trains to see the sights.

#505172  by pennsy

We might also remind you that an inspector could also cite you, give you a ticket, and that would cost you several times that legitimate fare.

#505344  by farmerjohn

pennsy wrote:We might also remind you that an inspector could also cite you, give you a ticket, and that would cost you several times that legitimate fare.
I think anywhere from $250 to $400?. Correct me if im wrong.
Really good idea about the weekend pass.
I see family's all the time going to L.A. for the day or people simply wanting to go out some where.