Railroad Forums 

• The Maine Central Railroad Mountain Division

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#379700  by wolfmom69

Towards the end of the active days of the Mt. Div.,WHEN helpers were needed,they ran light ahead of RY-1 from Rigby in S. Portland, waited on a track in Bartlett "yard", helped RY-1 through the "Notch" and then ran light back to Rigby.

Usually just 2 units as helpers,if I recall correctly. Can't say when LAST helpers were used,before line closed down as a through route to St. J. with RY-1 and YR-2 daily trains.

Bud

#380125  by Engineer999

I believe that, at the end of service, the trains did not require helpers because their size had dropped to a managable number of cars for just headend power (around 60 cars). They even experimented with the B&M slug units to see how they performed. That didn't seem to go well.

Helpers (2 or 3 GPs) would arrive in Bartlett about an hour before RY-1 was due, and depending on train size, would tack on to the back, or about 2/3 the way back in the train. If it was mid train helper, then you looking at a 120+ car freight. I got a chance to ride one of those one night, and it was about 2 hours of bedlam in the helper units. Something I'll never forget.

Engineer999

#380452  by outinindiana

At night -- that must have been some fascinating ride.

Now that I think about it (and looking at the book again), I have two other quick questions:

1. There's a photo showing a GP7 clearing the wye at Bartlett in 1977 -- by that date, was the wye used just by the helpers?

2. There's also a 1975 photo showing an MEC RS3 on the Mtn. Division that says this was the one and only appearance of an RS3 on this line -- is this true? Why didn't they run RS3s between Portland and St. Johnsbury?

Of note, that RS3 was #556 -- the date on the picture is August 1975 -- according to Edwin Robertson's book on MEC diesels, it was scrapped just one month later.

#380529  by TomNelligan

outinindiana wrote:2. There's also a 1975 photo showing an MEC RS3 on the Mtn. Division that says this was the one and only appearance of an RS3 on this line -- is this true? Why didn't they run RS3s between Portland and St. Johnsbury?
I don't know about the "one and only" claim, but the RS3s were normally east-of-Bangor engines, at least from the mid-1960s onward. From the time the GP38s arrived in 1966, the Portland-StJ trains were usually pulled by second generation power, sets of GP38s and later U18Bs. Before that it was F-units.

#380693  by Cowford

One insignificant correction: MEC numbered their trains odd-eastbound/even-westbound. The two daily trains were YR-1 and RY-2.

#383588  by Engineer999

In the 15+ years that I lived up there, I never saw an RS3 in Bartlett, but I do know that they used an RS on the local to northern Vermont in the early and mid 50's. There are photes in some of the color MEC books. They were rare up there.

The only reason that they would have used the wye in Barlett in the mid 70's was to turn the plow that was stationed in Bartlett, or if the engineer preferred one locomotive over another on his trip back to Portland. The helpers were coupled tail-to-tail so that they would not have to be turned. Some of the GP7s and GP9s were in ratty shape, and the engineers did not like to run them if they didn't have to. They were taking a chance even in those days since the wye was not maintained at all.

I have heard and read that the SW's were bought new with extra ballast in them so they could be used as helpers in Bartlett. They would be stationed full time in Bartlett, one used on the local during the day, and then run as helpers on RY-2 in the evening. This was in the late 50's, early 60's.

I was lucky enought to ride on a couple of helper runs from Bartlett to Crawford Notch and back, got a caboose ride one night when the train broke apart just above Bemis, and got a ride on the head end one night, all the way to St. J. Quite a ride with 5 GP38s in Run 8 for over an hour.

Lately, I have able to relive the experience with motor car rides from Bartlett to Whitefield. Not the same level of intensity, but the scenery is just as good (maybe even better since Conway Scenic keeps the bush cut low).

#383768  by NRGeep

Anyone know what kind of steam helpers they used in the 1930's and 40's?

#383861  by Noel Weaver

This comes in the catagory of "Wouldn't it be nice IF", having said that,
there is already a decent line of railroad northeast out of Portland to
Canada that is in condition to handle heavy freight trains at reasonable
speeds, I do not think there is a need for another one.
In my opinion, the line needs to continue to be "railbanked".
This subject has come up previously someplace and does not belong on a
Maine Central forum but rather probably on "New England". In my opinion
this is a historical forum where we discuss the history of the Boston and
Maine and/or Maine Central and not pipe dreams.
Noel Weaver

#384326  by MEC407

While I agree that this forum is primarily devoted to historic MEC and B&M topics, I feel comfortable in allowing discussions that pertain to the present-day status of former MEC and B&M lines/properties that aren't currently owned by Pan Am.

With that in mind, here is a somewhat more in-depth article about the possible restoration of the Mountain Division:

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/news/ ... rains.html

#384449  by wolfmom69

2-8-2s tended to be the primary unit,or units out of Rigby/St. J. in the 30's and 40's. Since Bartlett had some 2-8-0s and 4-6-0's more or less "based there",they were used as "helpers" on the heavy wetbounds through the "Notch."

Some freights got two 2-8-2's out of Rigby,so needed none, or just one helper up the "Notch".

Turntable at Bartlett was taken up,when the 2-6-6-2 Mallets bought from the B&M. in 1912,as they wouldn't fit,and a the other leg was constructed along with the existing track from the old Bartlett & Albany railroad,to form a wye to turn the power.

According to the "Mountain Division Book",these engines were more or less "permanently assigned' to the Mt. Div. in the 1940's

Eleven 4-6-0's used on the "local trains" and Beecher Falls Branch-as well as helper-when needed.

Twelve 2-8-2s for through freights.

In addition,2-8-0's,usually ran the Portland to Bartlett "local freight" and were pressed into helper service,if available at Bartlett.

Exact engine numbers are in the book,and keep in mind,that steam locomotives needed a great deal of "maintaining",so while "assigned",several were usual undergoing servicing and inspection,often times at Waterville.

Hope this helps. and GREAT action video's of the helpers(taken on color 16mm film of course, by Stan Whitney in 1946-50) on the video; "New England Glory", Volume 1. produced by Herron Rail Services in 1990 :-) .

Bud
 #397719  by karl

Just a quick post: My dad,in the "30s" was a foreman at the Crawford Notch station and lived there near the frankenstein trestle. He spoke of many harsh living conditions while up there in the winter months
 #397731  by MEC407

karl wrote:Just a quick post: My dad,in the "30s" was a foreman at the Crawford Notch station and lived there near the frankenstein trestle. He spoke of many harsh living conditions while up there in the winter months
I bet it took some strong, brave souls to work up there in the winter!

#403866  by cpf354

As with any government funded plan, it's a good idea not to get to far ahead of ourselves in thinking it means trains will be running to Fryeburg any time soon. The money is ear marked for study and engineering assessments, to see what it will cost and how much of the line to re-open. People who have an intimate knowledge of the current state of the ROW have expressed the opinion that it needs a substantial amount of work. MDOT probably envisions this as being similar to the Rockland Branch, with a designated operator providing freight and seasonal excursion passenger service. What I'm wondering is if there's any chance it will connect with the Conway Scenic down the road. Portland to Crawford Notch excursions would be terrific!

#406536  by Engineer999

I was up on the Mountain Division this past weekend and heard a number of different stories about RR service on the Mountain Division around Whitefield, NH.

We were told that we would not be able to go to Hazens next year because the state of NH was arranging for an operator to service a company in Whitefield east of the Hazen's switch. I didn't see anything online as we rode through the woods, so I have to assume that there is a customer north of Wambeck Junction near the local airport. Are they going to open the tracks north of Wambeck Junction?

I was also told that the state of Vermont had purchased the remainder of the Mountain Division from the border to St. J, and they were going to open the line (rebuild) to St. Johnsbury to service this customer.

I also heard that the customer would be serviced from Groveton, NH.

The operator of the line would be Vermont Railway.

What parts of this are true?