• The Maine Central Railroad Mountain Division

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

by thomas81z

thanks for the replies , i figured that since the new hampshire side was all redone so i figured that maine would want to rehab their end , it would make sense, but i know all that cost money :(

by truman

All redone? From what I've seen and heard, some track, maybe a mile, maybe less, in East Conway was rebuilt as a condition of a highway and bridge upgrade project.

by NHN503

less than a mile was rebuild in Conway because of the North/South Road realignment.

There are some options for the Mountain Division, including sand trains to Portland. (Kinda like NHN)

by MEC407

thomas81z wrote:i figured that since the new hampshire side was all redone...
I don't know who told you that, but I'd suggest you find a new source of information! :wink:

I have to admit, the thought of NH rehabbing a huge swath of rail line with their own money did give me a good laugh. :wink:

by NaugMOW

The engineering study done by HNTB should be out January 15th. Does anyone know if it will be available publicly, and if so where it can be obtained?

by MEC407

I would send an e-mail to Nate Moulton at MDOT and ask him. And let us know what you find out.

by NaugMOW

Thanks, I'll do that right after the new year so its not jumping the gun too much :P I work in the field and I'm somewhat familiar with the mountain division so I'm curious to see what the report has to offer.

by thomas81z

ok so im not completly crazy :wink:

by b&m 1566

For those that do already know, there is a similar topic on the New England Railfan Forum that has some good information already pointed out. http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 14&start=0
  by sully

Building the Mountain Division in Trainz but need help. How did the B&M go from Boston to North Conway, what are the stop names. Where does it go after North Conway, any help will be great.
  by sully

Anybody know where i can get a map of the b&m mountain division from Boston to the Mountains, I'm trying to recreate it in Trainz thanks. Also a stations list or timetable will be great.

by Dick H

Can you be a bit more specific? The B&M ran to Dover/Rollinsford on the Western Route Main Line, they ran up the Conway Branch through North Conway to Intervale, where it joined the MEC Mountain Division and ran to Whitefield. Here's a description:

The Mountaineer was a 1940s summer-only service improvement for travelers to the White Mountains: It used a joint routing, B&M to Intervale, New Hampshire via Dover, then the MEC Mountain Division through Crawford Notch to Whitefield to reduce travel times between Boston and Littleton/Bethlehem, NH. It also had the side benefit of attracting passengers interested in scenery: Crawford Notch is about as good as mountain railroading gets in New England. The train was all B&M equipment, as far as I know, at times the Budd articulated streamliner 6000 , at times conventional coaches. But it would still liven up the passenger operations on a model of the MEC Mountain Division quite a bit.

The Maine Central ran passenger and freight service between Portland and St. Johnsbury VT over the entire length of the Mountain Division.

There is a map of the Mountain Division at this URL. Perhaps you can enlarge it on your PC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:1923_MEC.jpg

Also, run this URL. Scroll down for a section on the Mountain Division

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Central_Railroad

Dick
  by B&Mguy

The B&M went to North Conway from Boston via the Conway Branch which left the Western mainline at Rollinsford NH. It passed through Rochester, Milton, Wakefield, Ossipee, Madison and Conway, stopping at many points along the way. After North Conway, the B&M merged into the MEC Mountain Division at Intervale and proceeded through Bartlett and Crawford Notch. It continued on through Bretton Woods and Whitefield, eventually heading into Vermont.

I'm not sure the section that you are looking to focus on, but this should at least give you a broad overview of the area that the line covered. I hope this helps.
  by B&Mguy

I also posted this in the B&M/MEC forum

The B&M went to North Conway from Boston via the Conway Branch which left the Western mainline at Rollinsford NH. It passed through Rochester, Milton, Wakefield, Ossipee, Madison and Conway, stopping at many points along the way. After North Conway, the B&M merged into the MEC Mountain Division at Intervale and proceeded through Bartlett and Crawford Notch. It continued on through Bretton Woods and Whitefield, eventually heading into Vermont.

I'm not sure the section that you are looking to focus on, but this should at least give you a broad overview of the area that the line covered. I hope this helps.

by shadyjay

Another route that the original poster may be thinking of is the combined Northern/Lincoln Branch line from Boston to Lincoln, NH (near Franconia Notch) via Lowell/Manchester/Concord/Plymouth. If that line is the case, try the maps at www.hoborr.com. They run excursions on parts of this line between the lakes and the mtns, and have pretty good maps/route descriptions, and run some fall trips end-to-end over their line.