Railroad Forums 

• The Hughesville Branch

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#966  by ChancellorOfTheExchequer

When, and why, was this branch built? It looks like it could have been part of a bypass around Easton/Phillipsburg.

#1276  by rushhour

Where exactly is this branch?

#1620  by choess

It ran down from just S of the Musconetcong River crossing along the river to Hughesville, to serve a paper mill.
 #1720  by SledDawg

I just posted this reply in the NJ Railfan section..

It was actually the Warren Glen Branch.

Split off from the "Lehigh Line" main at Musconetcong Junction about MP 69.9. There was/is a large paper mill in Warren Glen. Formerly Riegel Paper Company, now Fibermark (http://www.fibermark.com/index.html). The Hughesville plant, nearer the river, is now a superfund site I think. The ROW is partly a trail, very fun to hike. Connects with the Musconetcong Gorge trail (http://www.nynjtc.org/trails/record/20031113.html) It's a great place to hike, if a little strenuous at times...

Here's a topozone map of the area centering on Warren Glen (fool around with the scale on the right, and move a little south so you can see Hughesville too):

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=40. ... atum=nad83

I had an email from Keith Bednar a while back - he worked the branch before it closed (around 1977.) I don't think he'd mind if I posted parts of it, since it decribes some operations:

"The only thing that I can remember about working the branch is that there was not a run around at Warren Glen. We would go from Easton to the run around at Musconetcong Jct. (spelling?) run around our train and head down the branch. Did most of our shifting at the papermill at Warren Glen. When we were done we would shove our train back to the main line and after permission from Easton tower shove out and go west again. I worked the job in the latter part of the 70s after conrail.1976, 1977.The job ran out of Florence yard in Bethlehem. We used mostly the alco 7600 series engines. The station was still standing at Hughesville and it was inside the plant there. It was a small building about the size of Bloomsbury. However the station agent used an office in the paper plant. My brother Mike worked that agent job, around 1966, 67. He would spend several hours at Bloomsbury and then go to Hughesville and do any billing there and return to Bloomsbury in the afternoon.The regular agent was a man named Russ Boozenbury. He was a good guy and as far as I know he is still alive and lives in Bloomsbury. I can't remember for the life of me if there was a runaround at Hughesville or not. I do remember the branch to be a real nice ride. I can't help as for when the branch was abandoned. I know that the paper mill then got their freight from the old Bel del branch of the Penn. Where they also had a factory. Hope this helps. I had to rack the old brain to remember this stuff. The job that I worked was ARV-2 and ran at night so pictures were rare."

#11501  by SPUI

For the record, an 1886 Poor's calls it the Paper Mill Branch.