Railroad Forums 

• The Guilford Wreck Train... Photos & Questions

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#158505  by NellsChoo

Hi all

I finally put the shots I took of the Guilford wreck train on my site. I can't remember, though, if I heard they have more than one. But I think this particular one if based in Maine. Anyone know for sure? I am also interested in the history of each section. Some look like old passenger/baggage equipment.

Please go to the link below and take a peek at the train:
http://www.newenglanddepot.homestead.com/journal04.html

Jonelle

#158673  by NellsChoo

That NErail pic may be part of Guilford's business train. I have seen it once at E Deerfield yard. It was too dark to take a good photo... :(

#159753  by sery2831

BM304-MWT is interesting. A baggage car with vestibules? Or a coach with baggage doors? Quite obviously modified for work service..
It is an old diner converted into a tool car for the wreck crane.
 #160013  by H.F.Malone

The heavyweight bagg was originally a Pullman car--- B&M converted a bunch into full baggs after WW2. There is one of these at Green Mtn. Rwy in N. Walpole; it was a solarium-obs car made into a bagg, and one end of the car shows the plated-over obs windows.

The ex-troop sleeper was just that, not a troop kitchen car (they had fewer, smaller windows).

The streamlined "diner" was ex-CSX; it was acquired by Illinois Rwy Museum about 11 years ago from CSX, for the express purpose of trading it to Guilford--- IRM got the old wooden B&M diner-lounge off the Deerfield wreck train, right out from under the noses of the New England museums, in a secret-until-it-was-over deal......

#160142  by ProRail

The 250 ton Brownhoist Crane is one of 2 the railroad has.
One was kept in East Deerfield the other in Waterville.
The one in East Deerfield is currently at Waterville for wheel-work and body-work.

The diner is just that - a diner for the wreck crew. It has 2 stoves, a larger refrigerator, dish washer, sinks and dining car seating.

The ex-Troop Sleeper is used as a wash-station and some tool storage. It has conventional wash basin sinks and an emergency eye-wash sink.

The heavyweight baggage car contains heavy-duty chains and large slings used for tying around a car that is off the tracks.

#160237  by wolfmom69

Caught the wreck train about 2 1/2 weeks ago at the east end of the Waterville Yard,parked on a siding. Had a "big hook" in the consist,and two flats with dozers on them(side boom equiped dozers).

Think train had had handled a derailment on the Bucksport Branch. Didn't want to "tresspass" going past the public way(Allen St.),so I could not get car numbers. By the looks of some photos posted on some New England websites,there is helluva lot of tresspassing going on!

Anyone know,"for certain" if Guilford,and maybe other railroads,still use the dining cars on wreck trains to prepare/serve meals,and if crews still sleep in the cars? Thanks in advance for any info.

Bud :-)
 #160923  by ProRail

To Answer Wolfman's question...

Yes - at a derailment where the work is going to take in excess of 24 hours to clean up, the dining car in the GRS Wreck Train is used to feed all of the personnel. Food is prepared on the spot by one of the crew who is designated as the cook.

There are no sleeping facilities on the train, and work usually does not stop until the main line affected is at least cleared or a shoo-fly is built. After that crews can be brought to a hotel for rest.

#163186  by NellsChoo

I have photos of that work train from a few weeks back as well. I have not yet posted them due to my new computer giving me a headache...

#168504  by NellsChoo

I have posted the new work train on NErail. Search under JONELLE DEFELICE and let me know what those funny 1/2 boxcar-flatcar and 1/2 caboose-flatcar things are, PLEASE!! They are neat, but what are they??

#170398  by ProRail

The "half size" boxcar contains large chains, steel wire slings and tools to support the 2 side-winder/dozer cranes. The dozer cranes work smaller derailments and they also are used to shove debris clear too.

The caboose on the flatcar also carries similar tools for the cranes, including replacement hooks and other parts.
 #1478677  by MEC407

Video by NorfKhazad of the wreck train on its way to Royalston with a Dash 8-40B in the lead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbRMWm0-dFc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1505508  by Dick H

I believe this is the Waterville wreck train with the 200 ton wrecker #3365.
The East Deerfield wreck train has the 250 ton wrecker #3366 and also
carries the two sidewinder bulldozers. In addition to the #3365, they were
probably able to use one or two highway cranes to do the work and did not'
need the dozers from ED.

Here is a 2 minute video from 2012 with a closeup view of the ED wreck train
from Signal Hill Productions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZD6211NjcQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1561151  by backroadrails

While I was in the Rumford area, I stopped by the siding at Dixfield after receiving a tip from a friend about the Waterville wreck set. By the looks it has been there since the derailment at the start of December, and it didn't have a locomotive, so I am wondering if it had a mechanical failure.