Railroad Forums 

• The good and the not so great

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#124967  by UPRR engineer

LCJ wrote:
I recall these guys were the first ones I ever saw with those way oversized, pop-riveted aluminum cases that held a couple pounds of Lebanon Bologna and a loaf of bread or two.
Thats the best laugh ive had on here. I clicked on the link which made it even more funny.

There are two guys here that still use those big boxes for a grip.

#125085  by thebigc

LCJ wrote:
thebigc wrote:Works really well on the guys with the Hammy bags the size of a signal bungalow. :-D
You realize that those from outside of your part of the world may not be familiar with the term "Hammy."

My recollection is that it refers to railroaders from the Central PA (Harrisburg) area. At least that's what I always thought it meant. Is that your understanding?

I recall these guys were the first ones I ever saw with those way oversized, pop-riveted aluminum cases that held a couple pounds of Lebanon Bologna and a loaf of bread or two.

Bologna

Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Yes indeed, that's my definition of a Hammy. And usually a Reading guy.

I'm a proud owner of a Hammy bag too.

#128457  by slchub

I've seen guys eat stuff that was left in the plastic ice bucket or fridge (ice box) without second guessing how long the crap has been there. Anything left behind on my unit goes into the trash bag. I love it when my fellow employee brings out the can of sardines when it is 25 degrees outside. Nice smell in the cab. I've also had a guy put a can of Spaghetti O's on the side wall heater to warm it up, forgot about it, and the damn thing exploded all over the cab and our grips when it got to hot inside the can. Thanks pal!

#129175  by UPRR engineer

I've seen that before also Mr. Slchub, it is disgusting.

#136348  by Fla East Coast Chris

HI,
I have seen a fellow coach cleaner take a half eaten soft pretzel and scoff it down. Also this same person used to take the half empty cups from the bar cars and drink them down(when the bar cars were still rolling). He even would beg off of my lunch that I brought from home.
Chris
 #137794  by UPRR engineer

Yardmaster told us to come around and take our goat to the pit. Round house guys were there waiting for us. Parked it, got off, and they tryed to dump the toilet, nothing was coming out. One of the guys grabbed a water hose, turned it on, bare handed started shoving it up the hole, the blue crapper water flowing on his hands and arms. He kept shoving it in and out trying to unblock the "obstruction". Then in a big splash the toilet started dumping on the pit, he didnt move his arms quick enough to not get a good deal of it on him. He then rubbed his beard with his hand as he said something. I didnt hear him because me and my crew were gagging and cussing. It didnt even faze him a bit, he then touched the hand rails on the firemans side of the front of the unit. Told my crew "dont you dare use that side then come inside my switch engine."

I've also seen a round house guy dumping the crapper while eating a sandwich.... gross. l
Last edited by UPRR engineer on Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#159019  by GOLDEN-ARM

There was one cool thing, I could say about Enola. The longest freight train I ever ran, was dispatched out of the bowl, there. (the departure yard, on the river side). I was called for an ENSE, and we went on duty, got our paperwork, walked through the tunnel, found our motors, cab signaled, etc. The yardmaster called the conductor back, for more paperwork. while he was gone, the relay foreman instructed us to grab another motor, and add it to the consist. The cndr came back, and said we were combining trains, with ENAL, that didn't have a crew. Our first move was to grab 34 frame cars, for RDG. These are 90 foot pigs, with auto frame racks on them, for transporting pick-up truck frames, made in RDG. (now we were doomed, knowing we had to work in RDG, always from the west end. pull all the way through, a clear track, then come all the way back) We started making "doubles", and soon I was on the Rockville bridge. Then I was by the tower, on the east shore, and soon I was looking at the fuel pad in HBG. The cool part, as you know Larry, was after I crossed the bridge, I could then watch my train being built, across the river ! Final car count was 232 cars, including the RDG cars. We air tested, and the cndr met us at GI-8. we got highballed, and started to pull. Almost 10 car lengths later, we had 'em all moving. We knew we were going to keep moving, as there was no place to hold us, not that it mattered on the double track RDG main. I was in run 8, coming across the relay/fuel pad, in HBG, within half a minute, and I literally never came out of the 8th, again, until descending into the hole, at RDG. Even in the 8th, we couldn't get away from the giant rubber band, we were dragging. We eventually made it to R tower, and we died. Never got it inside the yard, at Allentown. The biggest mixed freight, I ever got. I've had heavier, on DP coal and Potash trains, and longer on Sprint trains, but never a mixed freight over 200 cars, before that day, or since. The only time I left Enola, with a smile, for any reason other than to be getting my butt outta there. Regards :wink:

#159023  by LCJ

All I can say, G-A, is -- Yikes!

I know lesser men who would have crapped in their knickers doing that. Nerves of steel.

It's a wonder the EOT was still in range.
Last edited by LCJ on Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#159035  by GOLDEN-ARM

I just gotta ask ya, LCJ. Is that YOUR eyeball, watching the forums drift by ? Curious about how you did it. :-D

#159037  by LCJ

No -- and it's true there are no stupid questions (except maybe that one).

I'm kidding, of course (about the question, not the answer).

It's a picture I got off of Clipart.com. They have royalty-free images you can use, if you pay a nominal membership fee. I use them for my websites and e-newsletters.

Dave -- nothing better to do on a Saturday evening?

#159046  by GOLDEN-ARM

Nope. Sitting here in the motel, and we don't work again till monday. got off today, after working 9 hours. (SIGH) Usually we put in 6 1/2, maybe 7. This was the first one, longer than 8, all this week. Being on salary, we want to "get it done, and get the heck outta there". Playing with my laptop (NO, it's not what your thinking), and just killing time. I got a HP Pavillion, so I could keep up, with the forums, email, etc. Great for wasting time, in this .5 star motel. How else would I be able to keep tabs on ya ?

#159070  by Guest

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:....there is NO such thing as a stupid question.
<i>There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people.</i> -Mr. Garrison, South Park Elementary

-r

#159072  by LCJ

Um, OK. Whatever.

Stupid is as stupid does. - Forest Gump's Mama.

#159127  by thebigc

razor wrote: <i>There is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people.</i> -Mr. Garrison, South Park Elementary
-r
'M,kay?