Railroad Forums 

• The Front Pantograph is up again

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#408224  by hsr_fan

Definitely looks weird with the front pan up!

#408573  by Finch

I agree that it looks strange with the front pan up. Actually I'm surprised I noticed this, since I'm not around NEC trains that much.

Regarding the Acela: What does it mean to have the rear/trailing pan up? I only ask because each power car seems to have only a single pan on top, which happens to be towards the rear of the power car. So would the Acelas even be affected by this memo?

#408582  by DutchRailnut

Each power car has two pantographs both at rear end of powercar one faces forward one faces backward.

#408588  by Finch

Oh OK, thank you.

#409613  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

the front pantograph being up looks weird on these trains, im so used to the rear being up
 #409651  by JimBoylan

E-44 freight locomotives with 2 half pans next to each other usually used the "fronter" pan with the "knuckle" leading.

Many Great Northern locos had bus bars, but PRR removed them from the ones they bought in 1958. ConRail didn't use the bus wires on the E-33s, although New Have had when they were EF-4s, and ran with one pan per pair of locos.

Old Reading cars had bus bars, a RDG press release cited 2 advantages: less wear due to less raised pans needed, and less arcing if more than one was up, since they wouldn't always try to arc at once. (If one bounced or ran under dirty wire, another might still make good contact and power the train.)

Some pairs of Metroliners had bus wires so only one pan would be needed. There were special rules at Penn Station, New York, that the other pan must go up before the 1st pan went down, unless the wire was dead. Possibly they were afraid of unquenchable arcs under the low wire? I don't know what happened with single cars, or cars without jumpers, the rule didn't apply. Some Harrisburg Capitoliners were 3 car trains.

#411426  by R3toNEC

So I was on the NEC today from NYP to PHL. I saw Amtrak's pass and some were using the front and some the rear. I really do not understand what the logic is. NJT was using the rear.

#411430  by drewh

This morning all the Amtraks I saw were using the front, NJT was using either. First time I've seen NJT do it.

#453702  by hsr_fan

Any word on how this front pan thing is working out so far?

#453706  by Raritan Express

Amtrak still has the front pan up on the AEM-7s. I saw one yesterday at Metropark Station in NJ.

#453772  by hsr_fan

I'm wondering if the plan is to evaluate wear after a certain amount of time. If this is an experiment of sorts, I wonder if it's been successful.

#453818  by geoking66

I know that TGVs aren't allowed to have the front pantograph up, but I've seen Acelas with both pantographs up, I don't know the whole technical reasons why they shouldn't be raised.

#454122  by SubaruWRX

AEM7AC920 wrote:When running with both pans up for sleet scrapping, only one is suppose to be energized. Running with both energized can cause damage to the locomotive.
cool I was wondering about that

#454126  by DutchRailnut

geoking66 wrote:I know that TGVs aren't allowed to have the front pantograph up, but I've seen Acelas with both pantographs up, I don't know the whole technical reasons why they shouldn't be raised.
On TGV's the powercars have a high voltage cable between front and rear powercar.
On NEC that can not be done due to phase gaps and phase breaks.
so on ACELA each power car has two pantographs but there is no high voltage trainline.