• The Flying Yankee

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by bostontrainguy

gokeefe wrote:
BandA wrote:It's a pitty, wouldn't this be the perfect set for the Downeaster?
Without getting in to a discussion of suitability based on technical specifications .... It's actually far too small for the Downeaster's current passenger counts.

If platform height wasn't an issue the Talgo trainsets might have been an option.
The UA TurboTrain with similar floor height cars used high-level platforms with a clever door/step vestibule design.
  by Ridgefielder

bostontrainguy wrote:
gokeefe wrote:
Without getting in to a discussion of suitability based on technical specifications .... It's actually far too small for the Downeaster's current passenger counts.

If platform height wasn't an issue the Talgo trainsets might have been an option.
The UA TurboTrain with similar floor height cars used high-level platforms with a clever door/step vestibule design.
Using the Flying Yankee as a regular Downeaster consist is like using a 1935 Hudson Terraplane as your everyday car.
  by jaymac

Those who own operable Terraplanes would resent the simile, as would those who are restoring Terraplanes.
  by MEC407

I'm not sure if Mr. Cowford follows this thread, but he might agree that the Yankee would be a more appropriately-sized and more fuel-efficient vehicle for the Portland-Brunswick service. :wink:
  by FLRailFan1

Ridgefielder wrote:
bostontrainguy wrote:
gokeefe wrote:

Using the Flying Yankee as a regular Downeaster consist is like using a 1935 Hudson Terraplane as your everyday car.
You mean I shouldn't drive my Terraplane as my everyday car? Ok, how about my '54 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser? Or my 1913 Pope Hartford?
  by NRGeep

It could be converted into a stationary Gala event super diner. Items from within the Yankee could be slowly auctioned off after dessert! :(
  by Ridgefielder

FLRailFan1 wrote: You mean I shouldn't drive my Terraplane as my everyday car? Ok, how about my '54 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser? Or my 1913 Pope Hartford?
The Pope Hartford is fine, but only if you wear a duster and motoring goggles.
  by MEC407

NRGeep wrote:It could be converted into a stationary Gala event super diner. Items from within the Yankee could be slowly auctioned off after dessert! :(
Our old friend Paul Joyce is shaking his fist from the great train room upstairs...
  by CarterB

Stuff it....mount it....display it............and nevermore dream about it.
  by daylight4449

CarterB wrote:Stuff it....mount it....display it............and nevermore dream about it.
Or, back to my earlier suggestion... Junk the damn thing and be done with it!
  by Ridgefielder

Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington #9 spent what, 60 years sitting in a barn on a Connecticut farm? Just because nobody has the money to fix the Yankee right now doesn't mean it will never be done.
  by MEC407

Fair point.

But I think the issue with the Yankee is that it's so much larger than #9 and no one really wants to store it, including its current landlord. If there was someone who had a covered space large enough for the Yankee and was willing to store it indefinitely, that would certainly change the conversation.
  by bostontrainguy

So maybe a static display at the Hobo or Clark's? It's already there.
  by MEC407

They don't want it.
  by RRFAN

If the hobo or Clarks wanted it, it would most likely go to the hobo because Clarks is all about small logging steam locos. It wouldn't look right there.