Railroad Forums 

• The Flying Yankee

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#110569  by b&m 1566

Just got some news (old news), on the Flying Yankee. Little is known about this but it is recorded in the B&M maintenance files from 1947. A portion of the article is below. To see the rest of the article and picture click here http://www.newenglandrailroad.com/page12.html

Another interesting but little-known fact about 6000 (Flying Yankee) is that its original engine block and crank-shaft were replaced with those from the diesel switcher No. 1103, which were identical, after the 6000 (Flying Yankee) entered the Concord shop on January 19, 1947, for its scheduled overhaul (according to the report of H. L. Leighton, Shop Superintendent, found in the maintenance files of E. K. Bloss, Boston & Maine Railroad Historical Society archives).

To see the rest of the article and picture click here http://www.newenglandrailroad.com/page12.html

The engine being pulled out of the Flying Yankee is not the original Winton engine, but a replacement.

#111588  by b&m 1566

*UPDATE* on the previous message I posted.

I emailed the Flying Yankee Restoration Group, Inc. about the engine change. They asserted, "Thanks for your E-mail and the info on the Winton. We actually have known this for a while, but have access to additional information supposedly showing that the original Winton engine was actually rebuilt and reinstalled in the Flying Yankee after a period of time. From what I understand, the original Winton 201A was removed for service reasons only.

So, as far as we know, the Winton 201A engine that we have is the original Winton 201A that came with the FY when it entered service for the B&M / Mec in 1935 - the engine block numbers appear to match the original documentation".

#143148  by b&m 1566

Looks like the Flying Yankee is set to move by the end of July.
I know from E-mails and conversations I’ve had with many of you at tradeshows and presentations recently that this is the most commonly asked question. Please understand that the NH Department of Transportation is doing everything possible to put things in place which will allow the Flying Yankee to be moved to Lincoln, NH as quickly as possible – hopefully by the end of July. Just as soon as I have verified details regarding the specifics of the move (exact date, time, route) I’ll send this info to our Friends of the Flying Yankee and the media.
For more information go to http://www.flyingyankee.com

#143582  by NellsChoo

I saw a photo on NErail of a large trailer with bits on it. I emailed the FY and I guess parts are starting to move to their new location. But not the 3 large units yet.

#146803  by b&m 1566

According to the Flying Yankee website, the final move of the 3 car set is set to happen in the 2nd week of August.

http://www.flyingyankee.com/press.html#1

#152252  by b&m 1566

The Flying Yankee will be moving on Wednesday, August 10, 2005.
Here are the details.....
We will be holding an Arrival Celebration at the Hobo Railroad in Lincoln, NH on Wednesday afternoon, August 10th, 2005. The three Flying Yankee cars will be loaded on very long low-boy trailers and towed by trucks from the O.B. Hill Trucking & Rigging Co. from Natick, MA. The trucks & trailers will travel south on Route 3 through Lincoln and North Woodstock, NH, eventually taking a left onto Route 112 (the Kancamaugus Highway) and then making a left into the Hobo Railroad (just across from the McDonald's restaurant).
Get your cameras ready, I for one will be there!!!! :-D

Click on the link for more information regarding the move and what they have planned for the day... http://www.flyingyankee.com/index.html

#152328  by NellsChoo

Wednesday.... oh well, I will be at work... along with a lot of other people who wanted to see it... :(

#153909  by Cactus Jack

Can someone clarify the actual construction material of the train set ?

Is it mostly carbon steel ??

What percentage of carbon vs. stainless ??

Total Weights ?

#159804  by djlong

I wonder what the final budget will be for restoring the Flying Yankee.

I know they said they needed $2.3M in one of the old press releases and when I was up there 2 days ago, one of the Hobo RR employes told me they needed "about another million dollars" (don't know how much they'd already raised).

Is it just me or does $2.3M for an entire TRAINSET seem dirt cheap when compared to the cost of new EMD engines and new coaches from Bombardier for commuter rail or Amtrak service?

#159879  by jimmiegag

djlong wrote:I wonder what the final budget will be for restoring the Flying Yankee.

I know they said they needed $2.3M in one of the old press releases and when I was up there 2 days ago, one of the Hobo RR employes told me they needed "about another million dollars" (don't know how much they'd already raised).

Is it just me or does $2.3M for an entire TRAINSET seem dirt cheap when compared to the cost of new EMD engines and new coaches from Bombardier for commuter rail or Amtrak service?
It is when you consider that the item in question is over 65 years old, and this restoration will only put it back to running condition albiet some modern safety features.

I just can't wait to see if the Locomotive Brotherhood embraces the restored cab with its orginal confinment, and possibly no airconditioning.
All in all think what any museum could so with over three million dollars to work with.
I am looking forward to seeing it finished if only as a historical artifact.
Jim Gagliardi

#160133  by djlong

My point exactly...

At $2.3M a pop, it's cheaper to refurbish a Yankee Flyer than to buy a new train.

Makes me wonder why we can't build new trainsets that 'inexpensive' anymore.

#160162  by MEC407

Because new trainsets have to meet safety standards that old, historic trainsets are mostly exempt from.

#173274  by Mr rt

Railpace October has a poor shot of one of the coaches.