Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#593203  by Allan

Today I saw a "take-one" announcing that as of 12/31/2008 the sale of PATH QuickCards in NJ Transit machines located in PATH stations will be discontinued (in favor of the SmartLink card).

There is no mention as to when sale will be discontinued in NJ Transit machines that are on NJ Transit RR stations (I'll have to keep checking the ones in Matawan when I visit family there) or when sales will be discontinued at the Hudson Newsstands or other vendors. I am sure that will follow shortly in early 2009.
 #594584  by Amtrak7

Here is a press release posted yesterday-
http://panynj.gov/AboutthePortAuthority ... hp?id=1142

It says-
NJTransit stations stop 11/30
PATH machines stop 12/31
NO mention of newsstands.

On a related note, I want a quickcard to save. On my next trip, I'll get it.

Are they available in amounts other than 2-, 10-, 20-, and 40- trip?
When you use up all of the trips on a card, does the turnstile eat the card like WMATA's?
 #594610  by OportRailfan

I knew the extinction of the QuickCard was only a matter of time, after they implemented the SmartLink Card.

I'll probably get a $2 for nostalgia

I'm not sure whether or not it captures them. IIRC, when I used to have a metrocard, I think it would still spit out an empty card after I used it, but I can't guarantee the same for the QuickCards.

I'll check it out next time I'm in Penn Station...tomorrow morning
 #594753  by arrow

OportRailfan wrote:I'm not sure whether or not it captures them. IIRC, when I used to have a metrocard, I think it would still spit out an empty card after I used it, but I can't guarantee the same for the QuickCards.
The turnstiles capture the finished QuickCards, but not the MetroCards. That's why you see MetroCards laying around all over the place but never QuickCards.

It's ashame they are getting rid of the QuickCard. I don't understand the logic for several reasons:
1. There is no discount when using MetroCard. There is a discount using QuickCard.
2. The SmartLink costs $5 for an empty card, the QuickCard is free.
3. They already have the turnstiles that accept the QuickCards. The NJT ticket machines currently dispense them anyway. What would be the difference if they continued to use them?

I think the worst part of the whole thing is the mandatory $5 charge now just to buy a SmartLink with no rides on it. The only benefit I can see is the 7 day and 30 day unlimited cards that you can't get with QuickCard.
 #594846  by fredct

arrow wrote: It's ashame they are getting rid of the QuickCard. I don't understand the logic for several reasons:
1. There is no discount when using MetroCard. There is a discount using QuickCard.
There is a discount with MetroCards, although not as large as the 10+ trip QuickCards/SmartLink.

If you buy at least $7 on a Metrocard you get a 15% bonus. Effectively making a $1.75 PATH trip cost $1.52.

All PATH needs to do is drop the $5 fee or the initial SmartLink purchase, and there's be no downside to dropping QuickCards. Otherwise there will probably be a lot more casual users riding with metrocards and one-ride tickets.
 #594959  by hockeyman

Yes, quickcards do get eaten when they're down to zero balance, all mine in the past have done so.

I bought a smartlink when they first came back on a gamble that they would soon come out with an ez-pass system so you don't have to refill at a machine, lo and behold, when my smartlink hits 5 trips, it replenishes by 40 trips (or you can do any number of trips you want on a replenish). It really works out for commuters!!!!!

I am happy I don't have to deal with those cr*p machines who can selectively read credit cards on the 32nd day of the 13th month.
 #618690  by F40

From the SmartLink FAQ website on the PATH domain:
4) Why is there a $5 charge for the SmartLinkSM Card?

The SmartLinkSM Card is intended for long-term use and is made of durable plastic with electronic components, including a computer chip. These components enable it to be used without insertion or swiping and provide the means for PATH to offer a variety of convenient and beneficial services to SmartLinkSM Card holders. The fee helps offset the cost of the card and these services - it is a standard industry practice for transit agencies to charge a fee for a smart card.
I guess they do not intend to waive the fee.

The SmartLink has its benefits, which includes no expiration date and if you lose the card, your trips are not lost with it as long as you register the card.

To confirm, when QuickCards expire (even if they have a balance) is it invalid regardless? I assume if I try to use an expired QuickCard at a turnstile with trips left on it, the machine will eat the card and not let me through?
 #618806  by OportRailfan

Not sure about the expired Quickcard F40.

Just wondering if anyone's using the last day's to snatch up some Quickcards for keeping.

I'm heading to Hoboken tomorrow and will probably buy one there for the return trip(1 for the return to Newark, and one just to keep)

Thoughts?
 #619132  by Allan

To confirm, when QuickCards expire (even if they have a balance) is it invalid regardless? I assume if I try to use an expired QuickCard at a turnstile with trips left on it, the machine will eat the card and not let me through?
If the QuickCard has expired then the turnstile will reject it and the message on screen will most likely be either expired card or invalid card.
 #619197  by Kaback9

OportRailfan wrote:Not sure about the expired Quickcard F40.

Just wondering if anyone's using the last day's to snatch up some Quickcards for keeping.

I'm heading to Hoboken tomorrow and will probably buy one there for the return trip(1 for the return to Newark, and one just to keep)

Thoughts?
It might be worth it just to get one before they are gone, but I think it depends on your feelings for the PATH, you either love it or you hate it with a passion.
 #619359  by geoking66

fredct wrote:
arrow wrote: All PATH needs to do is drop the $5 fee or the initial SmartLink purchase, and there's be no downside to dropping QuickCards. Otherwise there will probably be a lot more casual users riding with metrocards and one-ride tickets.
Almost all smart cards around the world for transport have that initial deposit: SmarTrip, Oyster, Octopus, etc. In the long run it's worthwhile, but it can also be a nice tourist trap for the Port Authority to get a bit more off of one-time users and not commuters.
 #622909  by hs3730

MBTA's Charlie Card has a different approach... it's free but a pain to get initially... when I got one only the commuter rail ticket agents gave them out (or you could get one mailed to you). The PA could offer a promotion for a free SmartLink if you send in a request by mail during this first month post-quickcard, to encourage a switch rather than resorting to Metrocards...
 #623664  by arrow

hockeyman wrote:they warned of this before the big anniversary, but no one listened as they gave away info for free smart link. It's now ezpass haha
Me and my sister (who both commute on PATH) both signed up for free cards. She got one, i didn't. Plus, she also uses NJT and gets here monthly ticket mailed to her every month with a QuickCard. They sent her another free SmartLink card in the mail with one of her NJT tickets as well so I took that one!

I did see agents handing out brochures for more free SmartLink cards last week. I'm glad I didn't pay the $5.00 when they are giving them away for free again.