Railroad Forums 

• The East Side Access Project Discussion (ESA)

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#207709  by Herring

Here is the soltication for the Manhattan tunnel excavation portion of the ESA:

http://mta.info/nyct/procure/cc_solicitations.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (click on CMOO9)

If you take a look at the MTA's ESA construction schedule, they are already two years behind schedule. So are there still believers (non-believers) that the ESA will never be built?
 #286952  by mark777

I have noticed over the past few weeks that there are several cranes and bulldozers at the former site of the LIRR's Yard A at Sunnyside. If you look north of Amtrak's shops you'll see some of the work thats being done. It happens to be almost aligned with 21st street which is where the present bi-level tunnel under the east river is located (the lower level reserved for the LIRR, upper level being used by the NYCTA F line). Does anyone know if this has anything to do with the ESA construction?

#287047  by Work Extra

When is ESA going to be completed. I heard 2008 then 2010 Every time It keeps getting pushed back a few more years and a few million dollars.

#287056  by mark777

The last time I heard was now a completion date around 2013!!! Hope that it won't take as long as the Rosedale station to complete! :wink:

#287142  by Work Extra

HaHa. They were doing work on Rosedale Last Saturday.

Whats the hold up there?

#287152  by mark777

who knows? but the west end of the station took something like 2 years to complete, and the east end seems to be going the same way. Wouldn't doubt that it has to do with funds not being available to complete the work in a timely manner.

#287256  by jlr3266

You are seeing ESA Contract CQ028 which is digging a large open-cut and a mined crossing under Northern Blvd. The bored tunnel contracts in Manhattan and under Sunnyside Yard/Harold will be using this open-cut for access.

Contract CM009 has also been awarded, although it will be a while before any activity will be seen since the TBM's have to be ordered.

#287962  by mark777

jlr3266:

It's nice to hear that work is has started. I'm sure that the work will be interesting in that it has to pass under the E, F, V, and R subway lines aswell as tunnel underneath the present F line under 21st street. I'm assuming that the cut and cover method won't be used for this construction.

#288001  by Diverging Route

mark777 wrote:The last time I heard was now a completion date around 2013!!! Hope that it won't take as long as the Rosedale station to complete! :wink:
There's a difference in the "company" that's doing these two projects.

Rosedale is being done by the LIRR.

The ESA is being done by LIRR's sister organization, MTA Capital Construction. It's run by the same folks that rebuilt the west side IRT after 9/11. They know how to get construction done... though they are of course constrained by availability of funding, regulations, permits, etc.

#288005  by jlr3266

mark777 wrote:jlr3266:

It's nice to hear that work is has started. I'm sure that the work will be interesting in that it has to pass under the E, F, V, and R subway lines aswell as tunnel underneath the present F line under 21st street. I'm assuming that the cut and cover method won't be used for this construction.
C&C will only be used for the Plaza Interlocking/substation/vent facility and the approaches in Harold. Soft-ground TBMs under Sunnyside and most of Harold, and a short mined tunnel under Northern Blvd. TBM's and blasting for Manhattan.
 #288582  by themallard

Work has been under way since 2001, but this summer, a bid was accepted for a company to dig the 3.5 miles of Manhattan tunnels needed to bring the LIRR deep under Grand Central Station, according to Beverly Dolinsky, executive director of the Permanent Citizens Advisory Committee to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.
Some work in Queens is already under way as well: Upgrades are being made to the tracks near Woodside Avenue and 65th Street, and a large shaft completed in 2003 will be expanded underneath Northern Boulevard by the Sunnyside Railyards, according to the MTA.
Queens Chronicle
 #372990  by 35dtmrs92

As many know, the proposed East Side Access plan calls for a new station under the current Grand Central Terminal. I am curious why the tracks could not have connected to the current Metro-North tracks under Park Avenue leading to the existing terminal. I am thinking that grades or some other issue with the terrain of Manhattan had to do with it. Someone confirm this, please.

#372997  by M1 9147

It has to do with third rail issues primarilly. Metro North uses under-running third rail where the shoes of each car goes underneath it, where as LIRR uses over-running third rail where the shoes go over it. Also to do a connection, there are 2 levels of Grand Central, and that would mean massive excavating of the existing tunnel(s) which would interfere with the levels of Metro North Services, rather than building a new level and station to the existing one where it totally makes sense. Similar work is supposed to be done at Penn when new platforms and and tunnels will be built to accomodate NJ Transit Trains right underneath 34th St.

#373038  by Spartan Phalanx

I wonder IF, sometime in the next twenty-years or so, we'll see NJT service to Grand Central. Of course, new tunnels and an even lower level would be needed, but is it possible? I think it's quite possible, after the LIRR is brought into the Lower Manhattan Financial District via Flatbush Avenue Terminal. All of Manhattan's important commercial areas, Financial District, Mid-Town and East Side should be rail-accessible by commuters from Long Island and Central/Northern New Jersey.

#373040  by DutchRailnut

not gone happen.