Railroad Forums 

• The classes formerly known as LETP

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1115  by thebigc

I hate to be the iconoclast but NJT's been pumping out 50 or so Choo Choo U graduates a year for the past six or seven years now and in that time about a dozen guys retired. Secaucus Jct. added zero jobs (non-scab) and Morrisville was just a relocation of Trenton virtually. Great Notch is a boondoggle/pork barrel and has pretty much played out. Something had to give.

#1168  by ex-SE

TR-00 wrote:It's a bad break that the classes were furloughed, but it is exactly what is faced by young employees on most railroads... No one gives a gold plated promise of eternal employment.
understood, but when I sat down with the personnel department prior to accepting the offer, I specifically asked if there was any chance of this happening. I was told almost word for word... no way! transit is one of the biggest railroads bla, bla, bla. We have never had a furlough since our inception bla, bla, bla. it won't happen.
Many of us in the unions fought long and hard against the furloughs, and also to have NJT provide other employment offers. NJT can not simply "create" jobs. You have been offered placement wherever there are openings (including in the bus division).
No one's asking them to create jobs... I've personally spoken to many engineers who both work regular jobs & the list. All have said how busy things have been over the past year. Many either being called to work on their relief days or getting as many as 8 starts. I am far from an expert, but that to me doesn't sound like there's an ample supply of engineers.
Now is the time to stop feeling sorry for yourself
There's no one feeling sorry for themselves... I'll be back in my old craft (not railroad) on Monday if I so desire. Making more money, without the bullshit.

While you are at it, take the time to contact your state assembly representative and state senator and demand that they approve a budget that provides NJT with the funding needed to fulfill its mission.
That my friend is what annoys me the most. I refuse to be (as I can clearly see that we are) a political pawn in someone's army. Transit has the money. There spending it hand over foot all over the place. Say for example they allowed the final classes to continue. There were less then 30 who were furloughed. Assuming there was in fact no work, and all 30 were sucking up the guarantee. (which by the way I highly doubt would be the case)...your talking roughly 1.3 mil annually for the salaries of all 30. Once promoted roughly 2 mil annually. What's Transit's annual budget...750-800 million? That's roughly .0025% of their annual budget. Substantial to be sure, but far from disastrous. Engineers are unique in the sense that if there not there, the train doesn't move...period. Conductors, and the rest of the crews can be moved up if one of them aren't around, that's not the case with engineers. All the more reason I see to keep us around. Transit is a HUGE company with fat all over the place...in non-commuter affecting positions/areas. It seems to me that the money saved by furloughing us could easily be recouped in other areas (like just a tiny bit less art on the walls in Secaucus)

At any rate, and to get back on track... I'm not pissed that it happened per sea, I bothered by only 2 things.

1. As I mentioned, It is not unreasonable to assume that we are in fact pawns in someone else's battle. (look we don't have any engineers...send us more money)

2. We (I specifically) was assured that there was NO possibility of this happening.

Like you said though...that's the way the cookie crumbles. I will move on and be successful, Either in this profession or my previous. Transit however potentially lost 30 or so quality people whom they sent as many as 9 months training.

#1184  by Jtgshu

Your ABSOLUTELY right.........we (front line employees, in all crafts, train, engine, etc) are pawns in someone elses army, and NJT did loose quality employees with the furloughing of you guys.

What pisses me off is that NJT does have the money, they just don't spend it the right way, or on the right things.......there is now a whole additional department with who knows how many people with these Nextel phones and the Control Center, and the new train announement people....im sure there are at least 10 or 15 people (probably more actually) in that department. Can the railroad run without these people? Yes.....can it run without Engineers? No.....

Everyone in management in all areas is so busy trying to do things to make themselves look important and to look like they actually do something, that they have to come down on us in one way or another, so now the BS is coming form ALL directions.......

But whatever.......Doesn't get any better than working for a state run railroad.............the fact that ANYTHING moves is a testament to the front line employees, not just T and E, but other crafts as well, hell in some cases, the front line managers (trainmaster, etc) because if management actually had to run this place, well, the highways would be very crowded.......

David Gunn would have a ball here - he could fire all the same people he fired from Amtrak all over again!!! Oh im sorry, they weren't fired from Amtrak, I guess they all just left before the inevitable could happen....

#1191  by TR-00

Too bad being a pawn annoys you. If there were more pawns who took the time to speak up, probably something would get done. Instead you choose to display your effite "I'm too good to do that" attitude. It's much more stylish to display your brand of street corner sophisticstion than it is to actually do something.

You'll probably be happier in your "old" trade where you can make much more money. If NJT's first mistake was furloughing you, then their second will be bringing you back. If that happens, please look me up. We need to sit down and talk. You have a lot to learn about not being the center of the universe.

#1319  by ex-SE

Talk about being totally off the mark with those statements. I have no "I'm too good for that attitude" what so ever. I've done many things in my lifetime from digging ditches to working at fast food restaurants. I will do whatever I have to do to take care of my family...just like the rest of the world.

My problem with being someone else's pawn is that I don't necessarily agree with the battle I'd be fighting. As I mentioned, and Jtgshu agreed with, It in my view is not an issue of inadequate funds. Clearly the money is there.
If there were more pawns who took the time to speak up, probably something would get done.

And what pre tell is it that I would be lobbying for? Transit to get a blank check to do whatever the heck they want. I personally disagree with that philosophy. I firmly believe that transit is a quality origination. I would also say that there is a lot of frivolous spending on their part. Case in point...the river line... Case in point 2... the 650 million dollar Secaucus. the list goes on and on. I am all for spending where it is warranted, but in my opinion more funding is not what's needed. Put the money where it will benefit the most. But at any rate, that's a whole different issue that encompasses more then the intent of this thread.

Back to your statement... Yes, I can go back to my old trade...and yes, in all likelihood, I will be doing better financially then I was throughout the training program. My point on that issue was, When I made the decision to leave my previous employer, it was not an easy one. Faced with putting a son through college as well as some other immediate financial needs, I had a long detailed conversation and Explicitly expressed concern over any potential to being furloughed. I was assured it would not happen. Weather that was a mistake by the personnel dept or not, that information dramatically influenced my decision. Good or bad, that's just the facts.

I do not at all consider myself to be the center of the universe, but by all means I am the center of my universe. My family, My friends, My responsibilities are what come first and foremost in my life. If you are trying to claim that your life revolves solely around other people and not your immediate needs first. Then I know a few people who could use a few bucks these days if you want to help out. :wink:

Honestly I don't know what exactly your problem is with my statements. Please take a moment to expand on what it is I've said that would lead you to such a negative attitude?

As for sitting down and talking, I have no problem with that. Drop me a PM...I'd be happy to get together.

#1325  by ex-SE

Excellent point #6 and I agree with you whole heartedly. In my brief time with Transit I met many people who were more then willing to lend a hand to someone learning the ropes. I hold no animosity toward any one person in particular. Everyone from the training department, the conductors engineers we rode with, even management, were first class people. That's one of the reasons I'm disappointed not to be a part of it anymore.

#1335  by #6

Amen, ex-se, me too, me too. For a guy who never even had a trainset as a kid, I sure am going to miss the place. Your right, there are a lot of quality people at NJT. Oh well chin up my man. From your post I know who you are now, you were one of the quality people too, don't forget it.

#1473  by nick11a

Yeah, there are a lot of quality people in Transit. But, there are a lot of quality people in many things.

Oh, and all this stuff about REAL MEN not crying just is a bunch of garbage. Granted, most men don't cry too often (I haven't cried in a long time myself) but there is nothing wrong with crying. Most men cry at funerals and all and it is perfectly fine and healthy.

That saying urks me almost as much as the "God Hates a Coward" saying.

#1526  by mb

And even if they were crying, they are not crying about trains, they are crying about their careers beings snatched fom underneath them. Hell, if NJT fired/furloughed me, I'd cry (or be really pissed) because I have a family to feed, house, etc and I don't have ten's of thousands of dollars saved away for a REALLY rainy day/weeks/months.

#1529  by TR-00

Ahhh, # 6, I hope you spend some of your time in anger management, because you surely need it. Please remember that an angry engineer has no place on a railroad. Behind the throttle, you need to stay calm and understand what is going on around you. Calling me "retarded" is a good sign of your state of mind. Using a mental affliction, beyond the control of someone so affected, to describe someone you loathe is not the sign of an intelligent person.

But, in spite of that, I am planning to sit down with ex SE, and would like to invite you to join us. Since NJ is a small state, I'm sure we can arrange it. I'll even buy you guys lunch.

#1532  by Irish Chieftain

K, enough of the flame wars. I don't want to lock the topic, so keep stuff civil please. TIA...

#1540  by #6

Thank you DR. Phil for the free mental assesment, condencending attitude, and offer to lunch. I respectfully apologize to you and anyone else who may be afflicted with mental retardation. Your'e right, it was vulgar and not the sign of an intelligent person. It was meant as a joke, I just wasn't aware that I would hit the nail on the head, sorry.