Railroad Forums 

• The car owner pay for faulty changed wheelsets?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1345382  by bengt

When faulty wheelsets have to be changed due to flat spots or bearing problems. How are the payment arranged for in AAR teritory i e the railway or car owner is responsible?
Different responsibillity for flat spots and other faults?
 #1345617  by Cowford

Inspection, repair and billing of wheels/wheelsets are covered under sections 41-44 of the AAR Field/Office Manuals of Interchange Rules. Car owners are billed a standard rate (that includes labor) for a wheelset changeout. I believe even minor repairs, such as a wheelset changeout are processed through DDCT (Damaged and Defective Car Tracking), which is a common system provided by AAR's Railinc. The car owner is always responsible unless possessing carrier damaged the wheelset in a derailment or collision.
 #1345648  by DutchRailnut

When a car is accepted for interchange the receiving railroad accepts responsibility for it.
normal wear is pretty much excluded , but anything condemnable occurring after car is accepted is railroads problem.
 #1345689  by Cowford

Dutch, excessive "normal wear" is condemnable. I agree that operations related damage, specifically slid flat wheels, is the responsibility of the handling carrier, but issues like thin/high flanges, cracked wheels, etc. go to the car owner.
 #1345723  by DutchRailnut

again if they are properly inspected by receiving railroad, that railroad would not accept a car that is near condemnable levels.
 #1345846  by Cowford

So what you're saying is that a receiving railroad can reject railcars that have conditions that are "near" condemnable. How near? By what standard?

That's wrong. Car mechanical condition is either acceptable or it's not; it's not open to subjective interpretation of the AAR mechanical rules.

A couple of scenarios to think about: 1. Railroad X's car is interchanged to railroad Y and run tens of thousands of miles without subsequent interchange. In that time wheel tread condition deteriorates from ok to condemnable. 2. Private cars. Who pays for those wheels?
 #1345879  by DutchRailnut

anytime a car inspector inspects a car it is good for another 1000 miles or next interchange, if he accepts car as good it becomes his railroads responsibility.
 #1346027  by DutchRailnut

flatspot would be railroad problem, a bearing unless associated with that flatspot would be a maintenance item and payable by car owner.
 #1346052  by Cowford

Not to beat this to death, but I don't understand your position. Ok, we agree that slid flats are handling line responsibility. So, what other condemnable events are their responsibility? Very few, if any, to my knowledge.
anytime a car inspector inspects a car it is good for another 1000 miles or next interchange, if he accepts car as good it becomes his railroads responsibility.
1,000 miles or next interchange? Whichever comes first? Some foreign cars stay on handling lines for months or years without subsequent interchange. A car is good until it's not.
 #1346056  by DutchRailnut

those are maximums, a car needs to be inspected each time its moved on mainline.

may I suggest you start with older manual : http://www.multimodalways.org/docs/rail ... 201998.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1346103  by Cowford

Thanks, I have a current copy. With respect, you should read General Rule A (1) on page 2 of your posting. "...car owners are responsible for and therefore chargeable..." It doesn't say that if a railroad misses a condemnable issue in interchange and subsequently discovers it, that repair is on their dime.